Author Topic: Birth Certificate -- David Fido -Corsham 1838  (Read 2338 times)

Offline DeeCT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birth Certificate -- David Fido -Corsham 1838
« on: Thursday 15 September 05 18:16 BST (UK) »
~~~~~~~~
I have one possible birth to my 3X Great Grandmother that occured in 1838. (All other known  births occured prior to Civil Registration.)
I am aware, from several birth certificates that I have purchased, that sometimes the mothers maiden name appears on the certificate. (In the column labeled mother - ex: Eliza KNOTT formerly GREEN is one I have.) Other times it does not.
This son is not my direct line and I am on limited income so I would prefer not to purchase the certificate on such a slim chance.  (The info I have is from the IGI index on Family search).
I would appreciate if someone has access to the records and could check to see if the maiden name of the mother is listed.

The certificate I am interested in is for ----

David FIDO christened 22 APR 1838 -- Father - William FIDO & Mother listed as Hannah (no maiden name)
I would dearly love to know Hannah's maiden name.

Thank you in advance ----- Dee
Wiltshire - KNOTT, FIDO, POWELL, SHEPPARD, GREEN,

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certificate -- David Fido -Corsham 1838
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 05 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee....also found this one didnt know if you had......

Baptised on Mar 23 1823

Charles Fido son of William ( Lab)and Hannah

Living Pound Pill(Hill)?Corsham Wilts

Regards Cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 05 20:48 BST (UK) »
  OOOOPPPS!!!!!! and another

Baptised in Mar !830

George Fido
son of William (Lab) and Hannah  Living at Moor Greeen  Corsham Wlts

regards again cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline DeeCT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 September 05 20:59 BST (UK) »
I have at latest tally 7 (seven) sons born to this couple.
William, Henry, Charles, James, George, Joseph, and David.
All born between 1820 and 1838.  David is the only one I know of that would have been subject to reporting for Civil Registration --- am hoping that his birth cert might list Hannah's maiden name. 
I am descended through Joseph.
Thanks for you interest and checking for me ! -- Dee

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 September 05 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee
Can't find Hannahs maiden name but found her, William & the same sons in the 1841 census if you want to PM me I could send the entry

KRs
Cal

UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 September 05 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee,

I'm afraid the only way you can get the information from the birth certificate is to buy it.  However there may not be one as birth registration did not become compulsory until much later.  
I think you have a far better chance of finding the mother's maiden name from her marriage.  

Don't know if this helps but if this is your family in 1851 could Hannah have returned home to her family to give birth?  I can't find a Wraxall in Wiltshire on GENUKI but there are a couple over the border in Somerset.  I would try asking for a marriage look up in Wraxall on the Somerset board before asking for the same in Corsham.  Marriages were more likely to take place in the bride's parish.

CORSHAM 1851
HO107/1836 Folio 312 Page 20
FIDO William 62 Ag. Lab. Corsham, Wilts.
Hannah 63 Wraxall, Wilts
George 20 Ag. Lab. Wraxall, Wilts
David 13 Wraxall, Wilts

Hope this helps

Debbie  :)

Offline DeeCT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 September 05 22:12 BST (UK) »
Debbie --- It was my impression that Civil Registration began on July 1, 1837 ---- and included all Births, Marriages and Deaths. Have I misunderstood this?
I had never thought of checking in Wraxall to see if I could find a marriage --- but since I estimate that such marriage would have taken place sometime from about 1810 to 1820 I will have to check the IGI for that area.
Dee

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 September 05 22:14 BST (UK) »
Dee
I think they were married in 1813 Corsham as it was on Williams birth entry on IGI

Cal
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 September 05 21:08 BST (UK) »
Debbie --- It was my impression that Civil Registration began on July 1, 1837 ---- and included all Births, Marriages and Deaths. Have I misunderstood this?

Sorry Dee, I wrote a reply to you then lost my internet connection and it's taken me till now to find your post. 

Yes you were correct in that Civil Registration began in 1837.  However it was not compulsory for parent's to register births until 1875.  Before then the onus was on the registrar to ensure all births were registered.  It is now thought that up to 10% of babies were unregistered during this period.

Good luck in your searching,

Debbie  :)