Author Topic: Mines in Derbyshire - mid 1800s  (Read 6852 times)

Offline Bev Duckworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mines in Derbyshire - mid 1800s
« on: Thursday 15 September 05 20:46 BST (UK) »
My g.grandfather was born in Tapton, Derbyshire in 1841. He moved to Bolton as a young man and founded his own brewery (J. Sharman & Sons). According to a newspaper article describing his career he started his working life down a pit owned by a large coal and iron company which later became the Stavely Coal and Iron Company - this early career was age 8 until the ripe old age of 10 !! During this time an accident left him with a mark on his head.

I wonder if anyone can help with identifying any sources of information relating to mines in the area which may help me identify the pit he worked in and maybe even find some record of an accident around 1850/1.

Any ideas would be much appreciated,
Thanks
Bev
Sharman - Derbyshire & Lancashire
Levitt - Lancashire, Middlesex, London, Yorkshire
Butler - Shorpshire/Flintshire
Wilkinson - Yorkshire
Benson - Lancashire
Cartmell - Lancashire
Gillett - Lancashire

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mines in Derbyshire - mid 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 September 05 01:18 BST (UK) »
Stavely coal and iron would probably be one of the oldest mining companies and goes back to the 1700s, by the late 1800s they owned several mines in Derbyshire

Barlborough No1
Barlborough No2------both at Stavely

Bonds Main at Chesterfield

Hartington No1
Hartington No2---------both at Stavely

Ireland at Stavely

Markham No1
Markham No2----------both at Stavely

Springwood at chesterfield

ASTON TERRACES & NORTH STAVELEY COLLIERY
North Staveley Colliery was opened in 1864 by the Staveley Coal and Iron Company Limited.
The company built rows of terrace houses for the miners which were known as Aston Terraces or “Top O’T’ill”. The houses had three bedrooms, a large living kitchen and a room sized pantry. Coal was kept across the yard next to earth middens - toilets with wooden seats over a pit. Each row of houses had a shop opened by individuals in their front room. In 1920 these included Mr Wright’s sweet shop and Mr Arrowsmith’s fish and chip shop in Ladies Row.
The residents cultivated vegetables and fruit in the large gardens and many kept fowl, rabbits and maybe pigs. Many of the men also kept pigeons.
Near the main railway line was a football pitch and, near the Mansfield Road, was a bowling green, tennis courts and a pavillion built of corrugated iron. The pavillion was for men only and here they played snooker, darts, cards and billiards. A recreation ground was provided for the children (The ‘Rec’) with roundabouts and swings. A Primitive Methodist Church was built by the company in about 1879 just below Chapel Row. The Church School was built in 1866 for 100 children and the headmaster lived at what became Glebe House. It became a National School in 1875. Click on the plan for a map.
The shaft of the colliery was about 211 yards deep on the Barnsley Seam. This was worked until about 1930 along with High Hazel Seam which was opened in 1912.
Boys who started work were probably first employed getting tubs of coal ready, two at a time, for the onsetter. He was in charge of the shaft bottom and responsible for seeing the men out of the pit. Their next job could have been driving draft horses for pulling empty tubs and later pony driving on the coal face. (The colliery had about 30 ponies, none of which were allowed to work for over 9 hours per day. This was later reduced to 8 hours. Every pony was examined at the end of each shift.)
Later they would become a ‘filler’, filling the tubs of coal, sometimes by hand. After two years, they were then qualified to work on the coal face.
In 1908, typhoid fever struck the mine killing a number of men between the ages of 18 and 20. No women were affected.
The pit closed in 1932

Hope this may be of some assistance. if you wish there are a few links to coal mining on my website
http://dennisford.rootschat.net/mining.html

All the best
                                                 Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Bev Duckworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 September 05 22:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Denn.

Looks like it will be nigh on impossible to identify which pit my g.grandfather worked in as there are so many. I guess accidents were pretty commonplace too. It must have been a very hard life in those days, especially for the kids. But then I suppose my g.grandfather was one of the lucky ones - he found a way out and achieved wealth and  success - it must have been all the sweeter for the hard start in life.

Cheers
Bev
Wilkinson - Yorkshire
Benson - Lancashire
Cartmell - Lancashire
Gillett - Lancashire

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 September 05 15:05 BST (UK) »
Would it help if you could find him on the 1851 census? If he hadn't already moved by then perhaps he was working within walking distance of home?
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bev Duckworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 September 05 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gardener - I'll post a lookup request on the Derbyshire board.
Wilkinson - Yorkshire
Benson - Lancashire
Cartmell - Lancashire
Gillett - Lancashire

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 22:53 BST (UK) »
I think Tapton may be the clue you are looking for.

Tapton nr. Chesterfield there were a number of mines, with the info from 1851
census you should be able to find the nearest mine to his address.

A google search Tapton + Mine or Tapton Colliery produces a wealth of information
on the mines and their owners.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 September 05 03:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
      If it is definitely one of the stavely company collieries that would rule out Tapton colliery itself although there are several other collieries in the immediate area I can find none that belonged to Stavely other than the ones previously mentioned.
      Can you give any information on the accident - if it was a major one we have a chance however a minor accident at that period involving less than four lives ( still dont know how that can be classed as any less than major) would have little chance of being recorded.
      Bettween 1850 and 1870 accidents were recorded at New Cottam, hollingwood and Clay Cross collieries - Clay Cross being the closest to Tapton
                                          All the best
                                                   Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 September 05 17:01 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,90427.msg382534.html#msg382534

The link above is for a post which gives the person concerned as living in Calow in 1851.
Does that narrow it down for you Denn? My grandfather worked at Markham and lived at Arkwright and then Calow but I don't know the sites of the early pits relative to Calow.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bev Duckworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 September 05 23:39 BST (UK) »
I have no information about the accident or how serious it was. I wonder whether the fact that the newspaper article made only small reference to it suggests that it wasn't an overly significant event in the grand scheme of things ??

But I did as Spendlove suggested and Googled and found some interesting info on mining in the area (www.abridgewater.freeserve.co.uk lists lots of mines and related info)

I think it might be worth trying to locate any local hospital records form that time which may provide some furhter clues.

Thanks for your help thus far,
Bev
Wilkinson - Yorkshire
Benson - Lancashire
Cartmell - Lancashire
Gillett - Lancashire