Author Topic: pre 1840 marriage  (Read 1745 times)

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
pre 1840 marriage
« on: Thursday 15 September 05 21:05 BST (UK) »
Has anyone the parish record details of Downton and if so.............could you please have a scout through when you gat a spare min to see if there are any Charlottes ? who marry a ? Mussellwhite. A son was born to her in 1840 called Charles but the next two known children are both reg in mothers name only so trying to find out now if she was an unmarried mother of three children or if she was married first then had Charles in 41 in her married name and carried on calling her illegitimate children in her married name. What makes it harder in the first contact with her in 51 she is only classed as Housekeeper to the Head of house who she gets married to before the 61 census so not sure if she had been a widow?

many thanks cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: pre 1840 marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 05 21:12 BST (UK) »
Cheryle,

I've found some interesting possibilities, but could you please give the names of the other children so that I know which ones you are talking about?  These are necessary details!!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 05 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Nell....She's been found on the 51 census by the wonderfull Kris for me living with a John WEbb who she later marries. Charles is there aged eleven. She is 34 so b about 1815/16. Then in 1849 a daughter is born to Charlotte Mussellwhite (no fathers name) then a son in 1851 Henry Mussellwhite son born to Charlotte(no fathers name again). She is next in 51 living as Housekeeper to this chap Webb and then marries him and for the next 20 years Henry is known as Henry Webb on 61 and 71 census but on the day he marries in 1871 he reverts back to his mothers name of Mussellwhite and i've spent nearly a year and a half trying to find a Henry Mussellwhite in 61 and 71 in most disguises and failed....these things are sent to test our patience i know but there are limits!!!!!!!

hope i havent made it sound too complicated and scared you off but i know you moderators are made of sterner stuff!!!!

Thanks in anticipation best wishes cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 September 05 21:50 BST (UK) »
There is a Charles Musselwhite baptised in 1840 to Samuel and Elizabeth Musselwhite in Downton, the sixth of 12 children born between 1832 and 1851.  He is the only Charles Musselwhite listed in the Downton parish records on BVRI2.  His parents were married 17 Oct 1832 – Elizabeth’s maiden name was WEBB.

George Musselwhite married Charlotte King 30 Jul 1836 in Downton.  But there do not seem to be any children of the marriage (at least not in Downton).

There is also a Jonah Musselwhite m Charlotte Pressey 24 Apr 1826.

Charlotte Musselwhite had a third child (no father’s name listed) – Edward baptised 25 May 1856.

Hmm - quite a puzzle.

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 September 05 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheryl
I have found a Charlotte Musslewhite aged 20 in 1841 in Downtown, she is living with a Gd could be Ged?(it is not clear) aged 25 Agricultural labourer and a lad called Charles aged 1

Cal
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 September 05 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell and Cal and thanks for your interest in this puzzle. It looks like Charlotte King could be the Charlotte i am after. On 1837 online i had checked 1840 births for Charles as he is def 11 in the 1851 census. Would you credit it there were two in the same Quarter and both alderbury. So it looks like one is Cals with a mother of the same christian and surname? i really dont know what to think on this anymore nell. In the 51 she was already living in John Webbs house with Mary ann dau of one and son Charles eleven. She then has Henry baptised as son of Charlotte in 51. She then has son Edward in 56 son of Charlotte and in the 61 census another dau born Faney(fanny?)  (is she showing dau of Charlotte?)in 1859 but by the 61 census she is now the wife of John WEbb. Poor Bloke!!!! i wonder if they were all his or none of them were his?

I think this is going to be a case of waiting till i win the lottery and just sending for all the certificates together.

But in all these trials and tribulations at least i found my Henry ;D             regards and thank you cheryle.f

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 September 05 22:39 BST (UK) »
My theory is that she ws married to the Ged or Gd and something happened as there was a long gap between the children.
It is a muddle though Cheryl... but hey they usually are i am sure you will crack it

KRs
Cal
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 September 05 22:54 BST (UK) »
 Just a few thoughts on this....Jonahs bride Charlotte would be too young as  my Charlotte was def born 1816/17.  If there were only two Charles born in 1840 and one of them def belonged to Samuel and Elizabeth the Charlotte i am looking for could be Georges wife (nee King) plus baby Charles in the 1841 that Cal found. Maybe George died and left her with baby Charles and between 1841 and 51 moved in with John Webb as his 'Housekeeper'. Well that took me a long time!!!!!i need to give this hobby up even the obvious is hard for me to see now!!!! I am off to see if i can find John WEbb in the 41 and see what he was up to and see if i can find a George Mussellwhite death pre 1849(mary anns date of birth)with no father named.

Thanks again for your help both of you

best wishes cheryle.f

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 September 05 22:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry Cal our paths crossed!  It looks like you were right Cal. In the 41 census in the house next door a big family of Webbs including a son called John WEbb who at that time was only 15 but in all the   census's after that one always showed as being 5 years younger than Charlotte. Maybe George didnt die and she just took a fancy to the boy next door!

cheryle