Author Topic: What is best family tree software! (more suggestions grateful)  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Isobel

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
What is best family tree software! (more suggestions grateful)
« on: Friday 16 September 05 12:32 BST (UK) »
I  have family tree software that is ok  but some people are sending me their information and it shows different generations and loads of information.  My software only shows me the trees and I can print fancy trees.but I cannot send generation information.  What is the best or most useful software you have came across. 
Hogg, Fordyce, Rogers, Robinson, Crawford Bell ,Little

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: What is best family tree software!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 September 05 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hiya Isobel

I'm using Family Tree Maker 2005 which seems pretty good. It makes trees does generation reports and lets you post your tree on the web. Plus it seems to have plent of space for notes etc

The link to my online tree is at the bottom of my post

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What is best family tree software! (more suggestions grateful)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 October 05 04:23 BST (UK) »
There have been many posts on this topic Isobel. Have a look at
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,86181.0.html

I use FTM, mainly because it is made for dummies and difficult to do anything too stupid. It was also the first one I tried & having learnt how to use one, every other seems more difficult.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 October 05 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Isobel,

I guess I'm being difficult but my answer always is that there is no such thing as what is the 'best' or what is the 'most useful' genealogical software.

It's like asking what is the 'best' car - there's no single answer.  Imagine how many different answers you would get to that question :o

All cars are pretty good just as all current genealogical software is pretty good.  But a big manual-drive off-road vehicle wouldn't be the 'best' for someone who really wants/needs a nippy little economical easily-parked automatic city runabout.

The real question is what is best for you.  And nobody else can answer that.

Have a search on Google, try a few demonstrations and first try to clarify in your own mind what exactly it is you want (not to mention how much - if anything - you are prepared to pay; whether you want the program to tell you what to do, or whether you want to be able to tell the program what to do; how much effort you are prepared to give to learning the program; etc, etc.

Cheers,

JAP

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 October 05 10:36 BST (UK) »
I would agree with JAP ....... what is best for me may not even be suitable for your requirements (I currently use Family Historian). I tried several demo's of the programs before settling on this one and JAP's advice to try these is extremely sound.

http://www.family-historian.co.uk/   for a download of FH

http://www.zen69420.zen.co.uk/tmg.htm for the Master Genealogist (TMG)

http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/  for legacy which is available in free versions and paid for ones.

There are several more

Offline Isobel

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: What is best family tree software!
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 October 05 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all replies  I never thought about own preferences. The information you have given has been a great help.  The Family Historian seems to be what I am looking for giving generation reports etc.

Isobel
Hogg, Fordyce, Rogers, Robinson, Crawford Bell ,Little