Author Topic: 1871 Census- Birkenhead - MALE  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Dave Male

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1871 Census- Birkenhead - MALE
« on: Saturday 17 September 05 22:50 BST (UK) »
Good Evening! :)

Really stuck with this one! I'd be grateful for information regarding a William Male born c1841 in Birkenhead. This is not the William Male that will show a wife Mary, nor is it the one showing a wife Harriet! >:(

It is however possible that he either has a wife Sarah, or is unmarried ???.

What is likely to appear as an occupation, is either a Boiler Maker, or possibly something to do with the ship building, or plumbing trades.

There is also a very distinct possibility that the Male name has been incorrectly transcribed, as has happened frequently with the Males throughout censuses.

Many thanks in anticipation - Kind Regards - Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Names: Brown; Robson; Davis; Male; Dowman; Harber; Tyler; Peirce; Schramm; Jarrett; McCarthy; Cox; King; Olley; Pease; Aked; Wharton; Stanley; Rudland; Grigsby; Such<br />Areas: Essex;East London; Birkenhead; Staffordshire; Shropshire; West Yorkshire; Cambridgeshire; Norfolk; Newcastle; Kent

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census- Birkenhead - MALE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 September 05 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

There is a William Mall on ancestry 1871 census.  On closer inspection it looks like his name is actually Male - He is living with his father Henry b Staffordshire aged 46, a boilermaker and his mother Mary b Liverpool, and his sister Sarah aged 15 b Birkenhead. William is only 18 thus putting his date of birth as abt 1853 his profession looks like either 'boiler' or butler! it isnt clear at all, but his birth place is Birkenhead

This may be of no help at all - but then again, you never know - he may be a relative of yours, happy hunting ;)

Cheers
Jan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Dave Male

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 September 05 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan

First, may I apologise for not getting back to you straight away - just doubled my family tree by marrying off my son yesterday! Please forgive any typing errors, as I am slowly recovering in the detoxification centre. ;D

You wrote 'This may be of no help at all' - far from it Jan, I think you have just added a most useful piece to the Male jigsaw - there have been many different transcriptions of the surname, and we have had to rely quite heavily on the Staffordshire/Liverpool/Birkenhead information linked with the trade of Boiler making. I have Henry of the correct year, and he fits perfectly with a birth place of Staffordshire followed by other relationships made in Liverpool and Birkenhead.

It is highly likely that he (as well as proven others), followed his father (my GGG Grandfather) as a Boiler Maker.

I'm very grateful to you for your super powers of observation.  Kind Regards - Dave
Names: Brown; Robson; Davis; Male; Dowman; Harber; Tyler; Peirce; Schramm; Jarrett; McCarthy; Cox; King; Olley; Pease; Aked; Wharton; Stanley; Rudland; Grigsby; Such<br />Areas: Essex;East London; Birkenhead; Staffordshire; Shropshire; West Yorkshire; Cambridgeshire; Norfolk; Newcastle; Kent

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 November 05 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave
Found one of your post to contact you.how fortunate it is the same subject.When i was doing some burial look ups i found a burial  1950 for an Edward Alfred male a laborer of Hollybank Road Birkenhead. Any connection ?

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Dave Male

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 November 05 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Celia

Kind of you to remember my interests. I do in fact have two Edward Alfreds from Birkenhead born 1 year (or so) apart - a continual problem with the repetition of christian names and proximity of years of birth with my lot I'm afraid. >:(

However, this one looks as though it's sortable, as one of them died a year later, leaving me with one born Birkenhead in 1892. This would make him 58ish on death.

At the moment, he is the most recent acquisition I have on that line of Males, but certainly worth keeping an eye on for any developments.

Many thanks for your time and interest. Kind Regards - Dave

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 November 05 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Is that a no even though he is 58 itish and died in B/H ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Dave Male

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 November 05 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

Most certainly not a 'no' - just not a definite 'yes'. This is a branch of my Males that stayed in Birkenhead, and I have no continuation of a link with Edward Alfred at this time - there's no sign of him in the CheshireBMD Marriages.

As I mentioned, I have so many (what I call 'overlaps') with the same names and approximate years of births, I'm scared stiff of making any assumptionss

I've just had to undo two years of work of a John Brown GG Grandfather of mine. There are two of them born the same year, both with the wife with a same name(and they were born the same year as one another also, and the same district), AND they had three children, each with a corresponding name and 1 year only difference in their birth years.

The one I chased was born in London, and the other in Newcastle BUT they were both in Kensington, London in the censuses. I spent 2 years with the London chappie, and have just found out that it was the Geordie instead. >:(

Once bitten twice shy!

KR Dave

PS of course - if there was an age or date of death showing in the epitaph, then I may pluck up some courage and use it!

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 November 05 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello again David
I will P.M the full record later,it's a burial record i found on the film, not an Epitaph. I have a clip file one those that opens,I call it my Might bee's file ;D you never know do you. I always keep records because in a couple of years maybe.The name will come up and you cant remember what was in the record you threw away :(

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials