Author Topic: School? Maynard, Joseph Invimey, Rowland Hill  (Read 2397 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
School? Maynard, Joseph Invimey, Rowland Hill
« on: Sunday 18 September 05 09:29 BST (UK) »
The obituary of William Maynard (1777 - 1869) umbrella maker of Waltham abbey states that he learnt latin at school where he met a number of people who were later famous.  amongst these were Rowland Hill and Joseph Invimey.

Joseph Invimey was the famous preacher who early in his career baptised three of William's chilldren (who were born at Waltham Abbey) at the baptist church, Eagle Street Red Lion Square, Holborn, where he was pastor.  He was of a similar age to William.

I have three possibilities for Rowland Hill:

General Rowland Hill (1772-1842), 1st Viscount Hill, who succeeded Wellington as Commander of the British Army.  I believe he was educated at Shrewsbury and Eton
Rowland Hill (1795-1879) who started the penny post.  His father ran a school in Birmingham.
Rev Rowland Hill (1745-1843). The evangelist.

My problem for which I would welcome any ideas.  Where did William go to school?

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk