Author Topic: Any Information on William Gordon and Elizabeth Wylie  (Read 6883 times)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Any Information on William Gordon and Elizabeth Wylie
« on: Sunday 18 September 05 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hoping that someone can help.

I am looking for any and all information for William Gordon and Elizabeth Wylie. They are my gg-grandparents. On their daughter Charlotte's death certificate (1924), William (deceased) occupation was listed as a "Coachman"  Elizabeth was also deceased.

They had at least 6 children.
Charlotte - Approx. 1863 - Tyrone
Mary Jane - Approx. 1864 - Ballymagran, Tyrone
Elizabeth - Approx. 1866 - Ballymagran, Tyrone
William James - Approx - 1867 - Caledon, Tyrone
Thomas Alexander - Approx - 1869 - Caledon, Tyrone
Isaac - Approx. 1875 - Monahan

One child, Charlotte (my g-grandmother) was married in Armagh, in 1883, to William Campbell.

As far as I can see William Gordon and Elizabeth Wylie were married in Augaloo, Tyrone in 1860. (not sure of the spelling)

Family stories have William Gordon working for a wealthy family, and possibly living at that residence, as a "Coachman". 

Does anybody have any ideas? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Any Information on William Gordon and Elizabeth Wylie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 September 05 06:37 BST (UK) »
Janice:

I did a little "googling" and came up with a few items which might be of some interest to you.  Didn't find anything about a very wealthy family in Ballymagran but did in Caledon. Here is link to the site for info on the place and the Earl of Caledon and the Alexander family.

http://www.caledon.org.uk/index.php

During WW2, some US troops were at Caledon House and there are some good pictures here, including the stable block. http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/tyrone/caledon_us_soldiers.shtml

And finally, here is a map of Aghaloo Parish. You will find Caledon down at right bottom.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/%7Etyrone/parishes/tl/aghaloo_tl.html

Good luck,

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 September 05 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat

Thank you for replying. The sites you mentioned look very interesting.

This could be the family they were working for. I will have to look up the Griffiths Valuation to see for sure, but this definately looks promising.

Thanks again.  :D

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 October 08 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Going through older posts and came across this one. By now you might have been able to find more information but if you haven't done so the following might be of interest.

IGI lists 5 children to William Gordon and Elizabeth Wylie:
1. Mary Jane born 23 Sept.1864 Ballymagran district, Tyrone
2. Elizabeth born 29 Mar.1866 Co. Tyrone
3. William James born 20 Aug.1867 Caledon district, Co. Tyrone
4. Thomas Alexander born 10 Apr.1869 Co. Tyrone
5. Isaac born 27 Apr.1875 Co. Monaghan

If William and Elizabeth were Protestant and married after 1845 there should be a civil marriage registration which would show their occupations, residences at the time of the marriage, fathers' names and occupations, date and place of marriage.

To search Griffith's Valuation (by name or place) with scanned images of the printed pages and some maps:
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 October 08 21:22 GMT (UK) »
this could be their marriage.

Record Type Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage 23 Nov 1860
Groom Name william GORDON
Bride Name eliza WILEY
Church Minterburn Presbyterian Church
Parish Aghaloo
Civil District Dungannon
County Tyrone

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 November 08 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey
Thank you for your advice and for bringing this post up once again. I really appreciate it. I also want to tell you that the link you provided is a great site.   :D I found William Gordon living on land owned by the Earl of Caledon.  Maybe you can help me understand one thing.  ??? What is a "forge"? In the description of tenement, it says "ho.,forge,yd., & sm.gar.)

Thank you so much Mary!   :D

You have given me the district which helps alot as well as the church.  I cannot thank you enough.

Janice

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 November 08 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Forge is blacksmith's which might be connected to being a coachman. This may have been just for use of the estate and its inhabitants (to shoe the horses, make repairs, etc.). Was your William Gordon a blacksmith?

You might want to search Will Extracts on PRONI site just in case any of the family did leave a Will. Note: the site is very undependable and often not working so if it doesn't work just keep trying.
www.proni.gov.uk

Here's a bit about Caledon from 1910 directory whoch mentions Minterburn Presbyterian Church:
www.libraryireland.com/UlsterDirectory1910/Caledon.php

And lovely photos of the church:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/04nk/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 November 08 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey

Thank you for your quick reply. Although I have never seen anything about William being a "blacksmith", it would make sense.

Thanks again for the great links. The will's database will keep me busy for hours.  ;)

Janice

Offline ecartwr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 November 09 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Minterburn Records MIC/1P/26/1&2

Samuel born 12th Nov 1861 - Son of William Gordon and Eliza Wiley of Kilshanna, possibly Kilsannagh.
William Gordon of Ballyvaddy and Eliza Wiley of Kilmore married 23rd Nov 1860.