Author Topic: My Surnames interests in Essex  (Read 4078 times)

Offline xjustjanex

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
My Surnames interests in Essex
« on: Sunday 18 September 05 19:14 BST (UK) »
I have ancestors on both my maternal and paternal sides of my family.

Paternal are-

Perry- Stebbing
Melbourne or Milburn- Stebbing
Thurgood or Thorogood- Stebbing
Levett- Stebbing and Langdon Hills
Haggar- Stebbing.

Maternal-
Kilburn or Kilbourne- Woodham Ferris
Taylor- Halstead

Jane
norris. broadie.wright.day,taylor.wilkinson,mindenhall,bennett,rose,gower,boorman,perry,emery.mindenhall,levett,east,dodd,cutter,kilburn,netherway.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: My Surnames interests in Essex
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 September 05 02:34 BST (UK) »
Hi loverlylegs,
I also have Stebbing Thurgoods, mine in my paternal line.

My Thurgood/Thorogood etc line ends with Sarah Thurgood (b 1762), who married my ancestor Joseph Willis in 1782, Sarah was the daughter of John and Sarah Thurgood.

I have gone back a couple of generations beyond Sarah.

I also have some Thurgoods etc which at this stage appear to be unconnected to my line, I'm happy to share my info.

I also have a slight connection to Levitt, my gt gt grandfather Joseph Theobald married Ann Olley in 1846 at Stebbing, Ann was widow, her previous married name was Levitt.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xjustjanex

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 September 05 15:28 BST (UK) »
Em
All i know she married one of my Ancestors Joseph Perry in 1821 in Stebbing. I reckon she was born between 1790 and 1800 as in 1841 census she was 50, as we know they went to the nearest 5.

Havent been able to find much on the Thurgoods and for all i know she could of actually have been a grand daughter to John and Sarah Thurgood. Any info you have would be much appreciated. Lookig forward to hearing from you,
Jane
norris. broadie.wright.day,taylor.wilkinson,mindenhall,bennett,rose,gower,boorman,perry,emery.mindenhall,levett,east,dodd,cutter,kilburn,netherway.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
If you let me know the name of the ancestor who married Joseph Perry, I'll see if I have anyone who fits the bill.

Regards.

Offline xjustjanex

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 11:50 BST (UK) »
Ooops Em thought i had put it on. Her name was also Sarah Thurgood.
Keeping fingers crossed here!
Jane

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The nearest Sarah I have to fitting the bill is Sarah baptised 1 Apr 1787 at Stebbing, daughter of William and Mary Thurgood, this info sourced from Stebbing PR fiche. 

All the other Thurgoods in both my tree and in my spares database are pre 1787.  There could well be another Sarah of a later date to be found in the Stebbing PRs.  My Sarah born 1762 was the only child of that family I found, after 1762 I was only on the lookout for other children of John and Sarah Thurgood.  So any children of other families I then recorded were those I just happened to notice in passing.

Found a couple of pieces of info that might interest you, again from Stebbing PRs.
William son of Elizabeth Thorowgood baptised 21 Sep 1770, "father reputed to be William Perry:-[

20 July 1760 "baptised a bastard child of Elizabeth Thirgood" no hint of who the father was with this one.

I doubt it is the same Elizabeth in both instances but then again .......

When you find out the names of Sarah parents I'll have a look in my database, although I don't have Sarah I might have siblings.

Regards

Offline xjustjanex

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Em
Sounds like it could be my Sarah that was born in 1787. They never did know their true age! Shame the 1851 census is missing for Stebbing as she wasnt alive by 1861. Where did you aquire stebbings pr's from? As would love to find out about the Perry's
Jane

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hi loverly legs,

The Stebbing info came from the Stebbing PR fiche at the Essex Records Office.  We try to get back to the UK and of course the ERO every second year, the Thurgood info would have been collected around five or six years ago. 

Regarding Sarah 1787 bear in mind that my Thurgood search wasn't exhaustive, there could be other Sarahs waiting to be found.

In addition to William and Mary, my Joseph and Sarah, there was at least one other family having children baptised at Stebbing around the same time.  The parents were Edmond and Ann (nee French) Thoroughgood, their children were baptised 1774 to 1787.  Ed and Ann also had a Sarah who was baptised 1 Nov 1778.

It is possible that Sarah born 1787 was the wife of Joseph Perry but as that would see her around 33 or 34 when she married, perhaps you need to check Stebbing PRs further.

Regards.

Offline molljohn

• RootsChat Member
  • ONE AND ALL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Loverly legs
   Just read your Essex interests I too have Melbourns of Stebbing in my family tree and have traced back to a Joseph married to Susannah Agur in the 1700s
 any connection
                          John
WE ARE RESEARCHING -  BUCKLAND,CHAPMAN,CUBITT.LEAHY,MELBOURNE,WINN, WEIDIG,VINTON & VENNING