Author Topic: William Llewelyn - A “gentleman farmer” in Carmarthen (1861)?  (Read 3171 times)

Offline sllewelyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Llewelyn - A “gentleman farmer” in Carmarthen (1861)?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
The fact that your ancestor Rev. D J Llewelyn moved from the area of his birth, married someone from a good distance away from his gene pool means that any DNA links you have with descendants of who I believe are the sisters of your Rev D J Llewelyn at Wern-newydd should pretty much cement your David Jones Llewelyn as the same as the 13 yr old David Llewelyn shoemaker at Wernewydd in 1871. I understand that you have been in contact with John Lewis in the past who is a descendant of David Jones Llewelyn's sister Ann Llewelyn who married David Anthony. Are you a DNA cousin of his?
Kind Regards,
Steve Llewelyn

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 20:33 GMT (UK) »
sllewelyn,
I've ruled out the William Llewelyn/Margaret Rees 1853 marriage as a "possible" for DJL's parents - found the family in the Llangyfelach area.
But -can you confirm?
Both William Llewellyn, Collier (father of (1) Anne, Eliza, Mary and Rachel '51 Census and (2) probably Jane and David '71 Census with mother Mary, widow) and Llywelyn Llywelyn, farmer (father of Hannah, David, Rees and Thomas '71 Census) married a Mary Jones.
As you say, the missing census sheets don't help. FindMyPast notes that "pieces 4132 and 4133, Llandebie are incomplete".
regards 

Offline Michevans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 August 22 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I have just picked up my family tree again and am directly related to Llewelyn Llewelyn from Nantycreigle. He is my 3 x great grandfather! I visited a Chapel in Glanamman today and the grave of my great grandmother, who was Llewelyn's granddaughter. I also have a photo of Nantycreigle from the early 1900s with who i believe to be Llewelyns wife, Mary and my great grandmother Elizabeth.

Offline sllewelyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 August 22 14:00 BST (UK) »
hanes teulu, yes, William Llewelyn colliery labourer of Pen y Banc/Wernewydd (illiterate) son of John Llewelyn labourer married Mary Jones (also illiterate) of Carreg Amman reputed daughter of William Jones, a gentleman on 7th June 1839 in Llandebie parish church. Llewelyn Llewelyn farmer of Nantycreigle son of Rees Llewelyn farmer married Mary Jones of Llwyndu daughter of David Jones farmer on 7th Aug 1857 at Llandebie parish church.
Sorry it's taken 2 years to reply!

Michevans - love to see a photo of any of the Llewelyn's and Nantycreigle, could you email a copy to me?

Not sure if I've mentioned before but there is a bundle of documents in the NLW Aberystwyth that relate to Nantycreigle from 200 years ago that look like they were emptied out of its kitchen drawer yesterday! Temperance cards filled in by daughters, rent receipts from various farms owned by the Llewelyn's where they spreading enough land around between themselves so as to qualify for the vote. There are also documents relating to the court case brought against the family by those who didn't believe they qualified for the vote!

Steve Llewelyn

Offline Michevans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 27 August 22 14:11 BST (UK) »
Oh wow that sounds amazing! I have the photo so can send to you today if you can send me your email address. I can also tell you who the people are in the photograph, it includes Mary llewellyn (llewelyns wife), William (his son) and his wife Esther, their son Johnny and also Mary Elizabeth llewellyn who was my great grandmother. I also have a more recent photo of the house as I managed to find it!! Who are you related too on William and Mary's level?

Offline Michevans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 27 August 22 14:14 BST (UK) »
I should have also mentioned i have photos of dafydd (Williams brother) and his wife Eleanor and also Mary ann (Evan's wife) with her daughter Rachel Mary, her daughter Marian and her daughter delyth- 4 generations in one photo!

Offline sllewelyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 August 22 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Michevans, I'm decended from Llewelyn's brother Evan Llewelyn b.1819 who went on to farm Tynewydd.  Evan in buried at Tabernacle Glanamman. His son Rees Llewelyn b.1852, his son Evan Daniel Llewelyn 1877 and his son, my grandfather Brinley Llewelyn 1916.
My email is sllewelyn@hotmail.co.uk
Thanks!
Steve Llewelyn

Offline sllewelyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 27 August 22 14:22 BST (UK) »
Michevans, all photos will be most welcome!
Thank you,
Steve.

Offline Michevans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 27 August 22 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

Can you double check the email address, its just bounced back...