Author Topic: STANLEY, All  (Read 10968 times)

Offline ihstanley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Argent on a bend azure, 3 stag's heads cabossed or
    • View Profile
STANLEY, All
« on: Thursday 12 August 04 21:56 BST (UK) »
I have a database (offline) of 20,000 people related to the Stanley family. The focus of the study is the area between Birmingham - Oxford - Gloucester but the scope of the study is worldwide, I have many references to the Stanley name from all over the English speaking world. See the web site for more details.

stanleyorigins.org.uk
Stanley

Offline alexash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stanley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 13:07 BST (UK) »
Re your Stanley database, I would be interested to know if you have any information on Arthur Stanley (c 1784-1853) who married Elizabeth Lowther. His sister Anne Stanley (c1800-1845) married Wadham Wyndham. Another sister, Eliza, married Henry Coote Bond of Bondville in Ireland. According to the 1851 census, Arthur Stanley was born in Salop (Newland), but there are strong links with Ireland. His aunts were Jane and Caroline.

Any information you have on this family would be much appreciated.

Offline ihstanley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hello AlexAsh,

I don't have anything on Arthur himself, only what you yourself sent me via email a couple of years ago, namely that his sister Annie's husband Wadham Wyndham was a cousin of the Earl of Egremont. Connections in co. Cork and more lately in Bucks. Sorry I have nothing new since then.

Ian Stanley

[stanleyorigins.org.uk]
Stanley

Offline alexash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 September 04 14:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I had forgotten our previous correspondence.

In case it is of interest I offer you the following information. In the codicil to his will (1853), Arthur Stanley says. "I give the silver salver presented to my grandfather by the Merchants Corps of Dublin in 1798 to my nephew Captain Arthur Wyndham (my GGG Uncle). I have discovered that in 1798 a group of 21 bankers and merchants of Dublin, one of which was an Arthur Stanley, requested the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Thomas Andrews, to call a meeting "to take into consideration a measure of the utmost importance to this kingdom". Clearly htis was the Irish Rebellion of that year.

I therefore intend to follow up this lead in Ireland. Just to confuse matters, the IGI has a marriage of an Arthur Stanley to a Sarah Wyndham on 20 May 1816, though his surviving wife was Elizabeth Lowther Stanley. Perhaps it was his first marriage, though this would make him twice connected to the same branch.

Best wishes, AlexAsh

Offline ihstanley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 September 04 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the additional information which I found fascinating. I think there is a really good story waiting to be found here once you have done the research in Ireland. Let me know how it goes in the fullness of time.

Good luck!

Ian
Stanley

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: STANLEY, All
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 January 05 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian
Nice to see that you have joined us.
Still haven't found my David Stanley born Coventry - but who knows.
I too have a data base online of census details for those interested in Stanleys in the London area at
http://members.optusnet.com.au/cougar54/
Cougar
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)
This information is Crown Copywrite. from the www.national archives.go.v.uk.

Offline Maystan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 March 05 04:42 GMT (UK) »
HELLO ALEXASH. I just joined Rootschat & ran across your enquiry for Arthur Stanley & Wyndhams. I also have Arthur's Will & would like to exchange notes. Please feel free to contact me.

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 03:37 BST (UK) »
Ihstanley,
would you have come across lists of employees at all,in reference to the Earls of Derby?Stables workers,domestics,in Lancashire? A long shot,but sometimes we get lucky!!
                 Cheers,Goggy.

Offline ihstanley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 April 05 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Goggy,

Sorry I've nothing like that. Unless your ancestor married into the Stanley family its unlikely I've anything about them in my files. Good luck!

Ian
Stanley