Author Topic: 1841 Census Look Up Please - Hughes - Birkenhead  (Read 6578 times)

Offline Dave Male

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841 Census Look Up Please - Hughes - Birkenhead
« on: Tuesday 20 September 05 01:45 BST (UK) »
Good Evening! (actually it's 01:30! ;D)

I would be grateful for information regarding the family of Harriet Hughes born c 1827 'out of county'
She is shown as Harriet Male in 1861  born Liverpool, Lancs., but what appears to be her first born was born in Birkenhead in 1848, so I'm hoping she is in Birkenhead in 1841 - apologies if not. :-[

Many thanks in anticipation - Kind Regards - Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Names: Brown; Robson; Davis; Male; Dowman; Harber; Tyler; Peirce; Schramm; Jarrett; McCarthy; Cox; King; Olley; Pease; Aked; Wharton; Stanley; Rudland; Grigsby; Such<br />Areas: Essex;East London; Birkenhead; Staffordshire; Shropshire; West Yorkshire; Cambridgeshire; Norfolk; Newcastle; Kent

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Look Up Please - Hughes - Birkenhead
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave
I you dont get a reply by the next time i visit the library next Monday.I will look in the postal directories 1840's for you.

Celia P.S what was her husbands name.
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Dave Male

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia

Thanks for the offer - her husband's name was Benjamin Male, but at the age of 14 she wouldn't have been married in 1841 and thus the reason for asking for information i.e. of her family/father/mother. But anything you can turn up for me would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards - Dave
Names: Brown; Robson; Davis; Male; Dowman; Harber; Tyler; Peirce; Schramm; Jarrett; McCarthy; Cox; King; Olley; Pease; Aked; Wharton; Stanley; Rudland; Grigsby; Such<br />Areas: Essex;East London; Birkenhead; Staffordshire; Shropshire; West Yorkshire; Cambridgeshire; Norfolk; Newcastle; Kent

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 October 05 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave
well couldn't help with a census,but i had to go to the library anyway.So i looked through a few years of the postal directories for you. There were no Males recorded in the 1840/1/2/3 44 is missing none the 1845. In 1847 i found Sarah Male. Victualer,26 Neptune Street Birkenhead
Benjamin Male.Boiler Maker,18 Cathcart Street, B/Head
Elizabeth Male, Queen Street,Lower Tranmere.
John Male plumber and painter.22 Park St B/Head
Benjimen Male, Blacksmith,18 Cathcart st
Mrs Hannah Male,65 Cathcart Street.

The death index for the G.R.O was handy so as it contains mostly 1800's deaths for the wirral, i had a quick look.It contains about six deaths for the Surename Male.Didn't take those down as you probably have them.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Dave Male

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 October 05 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia

Many thanks for your time and effort with this information. One really significant fact arises from this, and that is that my GGG Grandmother was the Victualer at the Neptune Arms.

I was already aware of her link with that pub, but only as Sarah Brien in 1851 after marriage to her 2nd husband after my GGG Grandfather dyed in 1845. I'd always thought that it was the Brien side tof the family that 'ran' the pub.

Offline Dave Male

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 October 05 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi again Celia

Apologies - should have added my thanks and Kind Regards at the end of my last message - wife wanted the computer - so rushed to send.

KR D

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 October 05 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hello again Dave-
I had al ook on the 1851 for Birkenhead- no 2 + no 4 Neptune St were occupied by families so I'm not sure whether 'The Mersey Arms' existed in 1851. There's no entry for 'The Mersey Arms' in the address index for the 1851 so I'm not sure that it was there then. Have a look at the photo(hope it turned out ok- if not I could send it again) could have been 2 houses originally-there are 2 front doors-what do you think?

My ggmother lived in no 8 which was the second house in the street - no 6 was the first which makes me think tht there were 2 houses originally(no 2+no 4) which could have been turned into the pub.

John Brien and Sarah were living at no 20  Neptune St with seven children in 1851and his occupation is Inn Keeper .
I don't know if you already kmow but Benjamin and Harriet were living at 26 Cleveland Avenue  Birkenhead on the 1851.

Regards

Neptune

Regards 

Neptune
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dave Male

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 October 05 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

I've had another look at your photo, and it's difficult to tell with regards to the two front doors as I'm not sure which of the two streets is Neptune Street. There certainly seems enough rooms on the two upstairs floors to have housed a number of families.

That's an interesting poser you have given me - 'did the Mersey Arms exist in 1851?'.

If it didn't, then which pub was being run by Sarah Male/Brien and John Brien. It is usual for an Inn Keeper (John Brien) to actually occupy the premises, so does this mean that no 20 Neptune Street used to be a pub? If not, was there another pub very close by I wonder?

I hope to travel up to Cheshire in a week or so's time and stay with friends of mine at Bromborough - I shall be intrigued to go and have a look for myself.

Many thanks for your input and the additional information.

Kind Regards - Dave

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 October 05 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if its any help but the 1850 Bagshaw directory for Birkenhead shows John Brien as landlord of the Mersey Arms in Neptune St, no number I'm afraid, but it proves it did excist in 51.

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs