Author Topic: Where do I start?  (Read 993 times)

Offline treefreak

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Where do I start?
« on: Wednesday 21 September 05 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I have recently discovered that my Grandma's family originally came from Ireland.  I don't know WHERE in Ireland :(

I have their names:

Patrick McCann born about 1817 and Jane Murphy born about 1820.

How do I trace their marriage?

Kindest Regards

Sandra :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk <br /><br />Brown - Renfrewshire, McCann - Ayreshire and Ireland, Fellows - Bilston and Willenhall, Morris - Tipton, Moody - Coseley/Dudley, Arnold - Tipton, Knowles - Willenhall, Banks - Willenhall, Martin - Tipton, Wolverson - Willenhall<br />:) ;)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 September 05 05:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra,

I'm afraid that the bad news is that the answer to your question about trying to trace a marriage in Ireland is that it will be very difficult and you may well not find it.  Especially with names which were quite common.

Have you read the links at the top of this Ireland General board?  There are all sorts of good sites with good ideas listed.

In the first post, Welsh Jen mentions the Irish Ancestors site.  Unfortunately, a check there on the distribution of your surnames shows that they are widespread - both separately and in conjunction.

Have you exhausted every possible avenue for trying to find where in Ireland your people came from?  For instance every census entry?  Do you know whether they married in Ireland or elsewhere?  Do you know their religion?

Perhaps if you post what you do know, some ideas might be forthcoming?

Good luck,

JAP
NOTE: In case anyone else starts looking for this couple here's a quick update.  After I posted the response above, I found that there is another thread on this family at:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,88573.0.html
Using the information on that thread, I searched the IGI which revealed that the couple was married in Scotland.  Also that there were two entries in the IGI for births of children to them, one of which was for a birth in that wonderful year 1855 where certificates contain so much information!  I posted thus on the other thread; the rest of the thread is self-explanatory.

Offline treefreak

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I start? REVISED
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 September 05 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I now know the following:

Patrick McCann was born about 1816 in Killevey? County Armagh, his wife Jane Murphy was born about 1821 in Ballinascreen? County Derry.

On son's birth details it states that they were married in Scotland so all I need to find now are their births etc.

Sandra :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk <br /><br />Brown - Renfrewshire, McCann - Ayreshire and Ireland, Fellows - Bilston and Willenhall, Morris - Tipton, Moody - Coseley/Dudley, Arnold - Tipton, Knowles - Willenhall, Banks - Willenhall, Martin - Tipton, Wolverson - Willenhall<br />:) ;)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 September 05 02:32 BST (UK) »
Sandra and All,

See my response on the other thread relating to this matter:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,88573.0.html

JAP

Offline treefreak

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 September 05 09:36 BST (UK) »