Author Topic: COMPLETED - Forest of Dean family  (Read 9211 times)

Online sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Forest of Dean family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 September 04 22:04 BST (UK) »

Southern, Charles 1873 March Monmouth (1837-1939) Gloucestershire Herefordshire Monmouthshire 11a 32
Southern, Florence Harriet 1898 September Monmouth (1837-1939) Gloucestershire Herefordshire Monmouthshire 11a 50
Southern, George John 1889 March Cardiff (1837-1974) Glamorgan Monmouthshire 11a 454
Southern, George Thomas 1873 December Newport M Glamorgan Gwent Monmouthshire 11a 398
Southern, Gertrude 1899 March Monmouth (1837-1939) Gloucestershire Herefordshire Monmouthshire 11a 33
Southern, Henry 1900 December Bedwelty Monmouthshire 11a 231
Southern, Mary Ann 1893 September Monmouth (1837-1939) Gloucestershire Herefordshire Monmouthshire 11a 51
Southern, Thomas 1872 September Newport M Glamorgan Gwent Monmouthshire 11a 343
Southern, Walter 1849 March Newport M Glamorgan Gwent Monmouthshire 26 116

Hi  me again
this is some marriages
interesting is Florence Harriet
                      Gertrude  and Mary Ann Southern who married in 1893 to a John Edwards(only name down) this is 3 years after thomas's death so maybe
I looked at the thomas on here but didnt have right names.

what do you think   sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 September 04 22:20 BST (UK) »
Davis, Mary Ann March 1852 Abergavenny  Herefordshire Monmouthshire Volume 11a Page 50

another birth for you to ponder there are several in area as you say name is shall we say common not meaning to be rude of course!!

havent found a marriage yet though  sandie
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 September 04 22:27 BST (UK) »

Davis, Mary Ann 1849 June Abergavenny Herefordshire Monmouthshire 26 59
Davis, Mary Ann 1849 March Abergavenny Herefordshire Monmouthshire 26 49

2 more births will stop now before you go into overload  sandie ;D

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 September 04 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandie
We must stop meeting like this. I have all 3 of the Mary Ann Davis from Abergavenny but would have no method of knowing which is which. Gertrude' s birth is the one that gave me the surname Davis.
A remarriage to John Edwards however - that could be valuable as on that certificate I suppose I would find her maiden name - with luck.
Florence Harriett appear to have married a Robert Jordan Sept 1898 but I am not following that path as yet as it does nothing for my direct ancestral line.
Getting there slowly but as you know with Mary Elizabeth it is easy to take a wrong turning and get pulled off into a completely bogus path.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 09:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone. I found Thomas hiding under the name Southan so I am now hunting his father John Southan [b. about 1796] who lived at Huntisham, Herefordshire in 1841 and 1851 and his mother Mary? who was born in English Bicknor about 1802.
Eventually I will find their marriage record and Mary's maiden name.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 October 04 20:11 BST (UK) »
It does pay to put your interests on as many genealogical web sites as possible. I have in this week had 2 contacts from New Zealand. One lady is related to me distantly through a common GGGfather in Middlesex and I think I can be of more help to her than she to me but that is good. That one came through Genes Reunited.
The other came from a posting I made on the Forest of Dean Family History site - totally free, like this but tiny. I had forgotten the posting,made some months ago, and I had solved most of the problem anyway [via Rootsweb]. Out of the blue a kind lady sent me an extract from the 1871 census that unexpectedly solved a name mystery [an obvious error by LDS] but also told me something completely new. My GGGmother, when widowed, earned  a living as a needlewoman and on the census she is described as Cripple.