Author Topic: James Ephraim Wood  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Lanc Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Ephraim Wood
« on: Thursday 22 September 05 23:46 BST (UK) »
Looking for info on James Ephraim Wood born 1811 in St. Sepulchre London.  Married Lydia Turner born 1834 in Brightwell in Berkshire.  The marriage took place in 1855 in the June quarter at St. Giles in Oxford. I have the family on the 1861 census.  I am anxious to find out if James was previously married possibly around 1831 onwards and was there any issue from that marriage and where did the marriage take place.
                         Regards

Lanc Lad

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Ephraim Wood
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 September 05 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi ...

The OFHS's Marriage Index (1538-1837) lists only one James WOOD marrying in the county from 1800-1837, in 1820.  Similarly, the only marriage for a James WOODS in the same period is in 1828.  I can let you have details if necessary.

If you purchased the marriage certificate for his second (?) marriage in 1855, this would confirm definitely whether he was a widower or not.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline Lanc Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Ephraim Wood
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 October 05 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there Pennie !
        Thanks for your comments on J. E. W my enigmatic Great
Grandfather. I have his Marriage of 1855 to Lydia Turner and was surprised to see him quoted as a bachelor !  He was 41 years old at that time and I wonder why he waited so long tio get married. To add confusion to the matter, on the 1861 census his birthplace
is quoted as America, but on the 1871 census it states he was born in London !  I suppose what I really need now is the 1841
census where I might spot him at the age of 27 or perhaps the 1851 when he would be 37.  Chance would be a very fine thing !
        Anyway Pennie thanks very much for your interest in the matter........
                          Kind regards,

Lanc Lad