Author Topic: Marriage - Henry French to Mary? early 1800s  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Vabre

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage - Henry French to Mary? early 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 September 05 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey,
You mentioned Mercy Bennett married Henry French in 1823 ,in Tonbridge, and I thought perhaps the name should have been Mary, so I searched the Freebmds for the death of Mercy French, in all years and all counties, came up with not a thing, so does that mean the transcription could have been wrong?
What are your thoughts?

Regards,

Pam.....Sydney ::)
O'Halloran, O'Brien - Limerick. Ireland
Dower - Co.Waterford. Ireland
Dodd - Co.Kildare. Ireland
Cotter - Co.Cork. Ireland
French, Sussex. U.K.
Pinning (Penning) - Lincolnshire. U.K.
Heath - Devon. U.K.
Bennett- Staffordshire. U.K.
Dodge - Kent. U.K
Coffey - Co.Cork, Ireland.
Connolly- Co. Dublin, Ireland
Walton - Co. Durham U.K.
Stoker - Co. Durham. U.K.
Henderson - Co. Durham U.K

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 September 05 09:54 BST (UK) »
The Henry French and Mary you mention with dates and places of birth in Kent and Sussex were in Sussex on the 1861 census.

RG9 567 folio 194
25 Church Street Seaford  Sussex
Henry French 66 Litlington, Sussex, Head Married Ag lab
Mary French 68 Coatham, (or possibly Goatham but not spelling at least Chatham) Kent, Wife  Married Ag lab's wife

Deaths would register in Eastbourne district

French, Mary
Record Type: Deaths
Quarter: December
Year: 1851
District: Eastbourne 
County: Sussex East Sussex
Volume: 7
Page: 285

The IGI gives one potential daughter for the couple

ELIZABETH FRENCH 
Christening:  22 NOV 1818   Litlington, Sussex
Father:  HENRY FRENCH 
Mother:  MARY 

Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vabre

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 September 05 10:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Valda,

Where you located Henry & Mary French's marriage  at 25 Church Street, Seaford, you have Mary as Coatham, (or possibly Goatham but not spelling at least Chatham). Could yo please explain as to what you mean "but not spelling at least Chatham".......I think I know what you mean but I am a confused Aussie.
Unfortunately, I don't believe Elizabeth French is one of mine as the marriage took place 1823.

Pam..Sydney
French, Sussex. U.K.
Heath - Devon. U.K.
Dodge - Kent. U.K
Walton - Co. Durham U.K.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 September 05 20:32 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth was baptised in the same place in Sussex that Henry was born, in Litlington, which is very close to Seaford, as both are on the East Sussex coast.
What proof do you have that the marriage in Tonbridge Kent in 1823 was this couple (other than a marriage has been found on the IGI a very incomplete index of some parish registers) for a couple with the same name? Does John French's death certificate give his mother's maiden name?

The spelling of Mary's birth place on the 1861 census looks to be Coatham, so it isn't a spelling error for Chatham, though I wouldn't know in 1861 how a broad Kent accent would sound to a Sussex census enumerator (presuming Mary was the one to give him the information). I would have thought it could just as easily be a mistake for Cobham Kent, or some small Kent Hamlet I've not heard of. The only Coatham I know of is in Yorkshire.

FreeBMD is an incomplete index of the civil registration but it would appear that Mary died in Seaford (Eastbourne registration district) not Dartford registration district in Kent.

It might be useful if you ask for a look up on the 1851 census in Seaford for this Henry and Mary to see if they were there 10 years earlier and what Mary's place of birth was on that census, if she can be found.

The 1861 census shows one other French born in Litlington Sussex, Samuel born circa 1819. He is a farmer in Arlington Sussex in 1861.
The 1871 census shows even more French males born Litlington. Besides Samuel in Arlington, there is Charles born circa 1828 an ag lab who is in East Dean Sussex and James born circa 1822 who is a coachman in Alfriston Sussex.
According to the IGI the parents of these men were Samuel and Harriet French, as well as the parents of Robert French baptised in 1825, Robert and Maria. So a whole colony of French families, it would seem brothers (from the IGI) were  in Litlington.

Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vabre

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 September 05 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you Valda for your comprehensive reply, I don't know Mary's maiden name it was not on John's certificates.
I have ordered the 1841 Census of Sussex from my local LDS centre it may take a week it may take months. It may come up with something. John was born abt 1832 that is the only time frame I have to go by and that he was born in Sussex.
I doubt the LItlington family is mine the names are not familiar with my Frenches. I have been searching just on Henry alone, for nearly 2 years.
Many thanks again Valda,

Kind regards,

Pam.....Sydney :)
French, Sussex. U.K.
Heath - Devon. U.K.
Dodge - Kent. U.K
Walton - Co. Durham U.K.

Offline kezzaprice

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Pam, I am also trying to find the information for John French.  He  is my 3x gg.  I am seriously wondering whether he changed his name when he came to australia?