Author Topic: Post 1901 research  (Read 1829 times)

Paul E

Re: Post 1901 research
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 07:27 BST (UK) »
I've been very lucky with a couple of lines  I wanted to trace forward.  I had a couple of daughters born in the late 1890's to families in Durham. 

Using the superb Durham County Council site, I was able to guesstimate marriages in the 1920's and 1930's (as Timbottawa did with 1837Online).  I found two possible marriages for each daughter, and because the Durham site gives you the spouses deatails, I was able to check these with my mam.  She wouldn't have been a able to tell me their surnames unprompted, but given a choice of a couple, her memory was jogged.   I was then able to search the Durham site for likely births in the few years after the marriage, and that way add a few extra names to my tree.

cheers

Paul

Offline KoKo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 19:58 BST (UK) »
Paul E, Timbottawa,

Thanks for the pointers guys, I had tried looking at parish records through the LDS sit which has been very good when going "backwards", but has not provided much help from circa 1880 to the present. I haven't tried 1837 on-line but will do so in the next few evenings.

The idea of looking on the local council site is a good idea, I will try the Derbyshire CC and Staffordshire CC sites and report back - why two CCs?      Easy.  My paternal family comes from Hartington and Sheen which are neighbouring villages, less than a mile apart but due to the intervention of geography, in different counties! Such is family history research. ;)

I will give a report back on progress with these two avenues of inquiry.

Thanks again guys

David
Kavanagh - Hartington, Derbyshire
Kavanagh - Buxton, Derbyshire
Kavanagh - Macclesfield Cheshire
Riley - Sheen, Staffordshire
Dent - Wensleydale Yorkshire
Schofield - Derbyshire / Lancashire
Marks - Nationwide !!

Dent, Leyburn and Newbiggin, Yorks

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 23:47 BST (UK) »
Good luck, David.

As Paul says, the local BMD sites can help short-circuit the process, and I've been very lucky in that much of my family comes from Leeds, and the YorkshireBMD site has excellend coverage, especially of Leeds.

Do you know of the UKBMD site (http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/)?  I just checked, and Staffordshire has some coverage into the mid-20th, you may be lucky there.  By selecting Derbyshire from the "County" selection box, you get lots of options for Derbyshire, but apparently no DerbyshireBMD yet.

Cheers
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift