Author Topic: Cropper Family of Crossens  (Read 4118 times)

Offline Gracey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cropper Family of Crossens
« on: Sunday 25 September 05 19:12 BST (UK) »
I am looking for some information on my great grandma Ellen Cropper who I believe was born in Crossens in 1892.
She married my great grandad Edmund Smith around 1920.
Some information provided to me from the 1901 census had her down as living in Rufford Road, Crossens aged 8. Her father was Richard and her mother was Ann.
Any information would be much appreciated
Bye for now

Offline willow2670

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cropper Family of Crossens
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 05 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Gracey
If you obtain a copy of Ellen Cropper's marriage cert
to Edmund Smith, this will give her age & confirm her
Fathers name & occupation.
Sue
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 September 05 19:25 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search lists a birth record for Ellen Cropper in Ormskirk registration district, Sep Q 1892.  (Ormskirk  8b 816)

You can use this reference to order her birth certificate, which will give you her mother's maiden name.  It's possible to do this online at 1837online http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/

FreeBMD also has a possible marriage record with a Richard Cropper and an Ann Wignall on the same page, again in Ormskirk district, Mar Q 1876 (Ormskirk  8b 1006), but you can't be sure this is the right one without Ann's maiden name.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
  • my worst fear - I will turn into my 3 x gt grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 23:09 BST (UK) »
I don't know that I can help you directly but I live very near Crossens (which is now just another part of Southport) and Cropper is still a well known local name!!  If you have an address and the building is still there I can go and take a piccy for you
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool
Also special interest in Edinburgh, Whiting and Goodger

Offline Gracey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 October 05 18:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the offer, i don't really have any particular names/numbers for the address although I believe it was a farm on Rufford Road near the large roundabout, obviously it's not there anymore.

I know what you mean about a popular name as I recently visited St John's churchyard.

Might take you up on your offer in the future. thanks again

Gracey

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
  • my worst fear - I will turn into my 3 x gt grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 October 05 18:49 BST (UK) »
I only live 2 mins away from that large roundabout so feel free to ask. Also there is a very active north meols family history society here with a lot of local people researching.  I just live here - my ancestors are elsewhere so I haven't joined.  Croppers is a big name around here - I am sure you'd find distant relatives. If you live within travelling distance - I hear there is a family history fair in Southport next year - March or April
Good luck
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool
Also special interest in Edinburgh, Whiting and Goodger

Offline jacko-to

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 October 05 12:46 BST (UK) »
The last address for Rufford Road on the census is 198 - then there are 2 no. occupied premises with no street no. and then your Cropper family is listed as  (farm).

The next address is 227 Rufford Road - so given that odds and evens are usually on opposite sides of the road -  my guess is that it was on the end.

Regards

Angie

PS 1891 your Richard (hawker - greengrocery)  & Ann were at Chapel Lane - North Meols and looks like his dad (Robert - retired framer) and sister Mary A were next door
Rea - Ireland & Liverpool
Dawson- Cornwall & Liverpool
Hall - Preston & Liverpool
Delaney - Dublin & Liverpool
Morris/Jones/Parry/Prees - Llanberis
Cray - County Clare & Liverpool
Gillespie - Belfast & Liverpool
Brown/Little - Newry

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jkitchin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 October 05 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Gracey

My mother was a Cropper from Southport. I have your Ellen in my family tree. What I have on Ellen is only picked up from census records but I can help you tracing further back than that if you wish. I have a lot of information on the Croppers going back to John Cropper c1741. I am having promblems with my software pacakge at the moment (Legacy) and I can't open the files. I do have back ups so I'm not panicking too much just yet and I'm waiting for "technical assistance". Hopefully all will be sorted in a couple of days.

If I can help please e mail me

jean.kitchin@tesco.net

Jean

Offline Gracey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 October 05 12:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies and information I am currently waiting for marriage and christening information from the vicar at St John's so I can confirm her father's name, hopefully then all the info that has been provided will fit into place.

Bye for now
Gracey