Author Topic: Message Reply  (Read 2792 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Message Reply
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 12:55 BST (UK) »
Sometimes a reply is posted to a topic but it is then moved ie. the original topic is split by a moderator if it is more suitable for a topic of it's own .......................

Could be this one by "dusty" (without a capital D)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,92092.msg390249.html#msg390249

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 13:05 BST (UK) »
Confusing, isn't it !

If someone register fors RootsChat as Fred and then changes their profile name to Otto, then PMs will still come from Fred, and if you click on the scroll next to Otto ("Send a PM") you will notice that the PM is going to Fred !!

Very confusing !!

I don't know if the names on the e-mail notificatios are the original, registered names, or the current profile names !

Just as well not too many people change their profile names.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 14:32 BST (UK) »
Another funny thing: if you go to the cheshire board, there is a post by Dusty.

BUT if you Search Rootschat for a post (*) by user Dusty, it doesn't find anything.  There isnothing in dusty's profile about being known as anything else.  Maybe we should send a PM??   ;D

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 15:06 BST (UK) »
No, dusty hasn't changed her name. If you click on her PM scroll, the PM will also be sent to dusty.

This is a different problem here.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots

The search feature whereby you could search for "*" by "dusty" is no longer - you need to put a word to search for.  "*" now only brings up those posts which contain a "*".  

But the searching process is now so much quicker ;D

I don't think there's any problem here - it all looks ok to me ;)

Casalguidi

Offline morgantowers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

Well, I managed to find Dusty's emails but none were relevant to me.  Maybe my computer is haunted.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,
Jill.
Ellams-Cheshire/Canada
Whitby-Cheshirer/Yorkshire
Lockett-Cheshire
Hulse-Cheshire
Rogers-Cheshire
Manning-Cheshire
Newport-Cheshire
Weaver-Cheshire
Worrall-Cheshir
Joynson-Cheshire
Knott-Cheshire
Robinson-Cheshire
Birch-Cheshire
Blythe-Cheshire
Warburton-Cheshire
Tweedle-Cheshire
Brown-Cheshire
Dixon-Cheshire
Roylance-Cheshire
Spruce-Cheshire
Brooks-Cheshire
Dunbabin-Cheshire
Savage-Cheshire
Boyle-Cheshire
Metz-USA/Canada/Jamaica/London
Morgan-Leyton
Hind-Walthamstow

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 18:38 BST (UK) »
Jill

This is what looks to have happened ..................

You, at some time in the past, have posted in the Cheshire Surnames topic ........................ dusty then posted in the topic so you got a notification to say that Dusty had posted.

BUT, before you got round to clicking on your email to take you to the reply, a moderator had split the topic to remove dusty's post from it and put it on it's own ................... so it is no longer on the link that was given to you because it had been moved.  Posts are often split by moderators if they are not really in the correct place or if they are not actually a reply to somebody elses post but a request for different information.

If you look at the topic posted by dusty .................

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,92092.msg390249.html#msg390249

................. you will see that the title of the topic starts "Re: ..................

This "Re: ....................." at the beginning of the title would signify that it was once part of another topic which has now been moved into a topic all by itself instead of (probably) being part of the long "Cheshire Surnames" post?

If you post in a topic that has lots of different posts by all different people that aren't all connected ie. the Cheshire Surnames topic then you will get a reply everytime somebody posts in it whether it is relevant to you or not ............. in this case dusty's post had been moved.

Does that make sense now?

Casalguidi

Offline morgantowers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi,

Thank you so much for your explanation, it all makes sense now.

Being new on a site is confusing at first, and there are so many different topics but I'm sure I will get into it.

Its nice to see so many people willing to give a hand when someone is learning to get to grips with a new site.

Regards,
Jill.
Ellams-Cheshire/Canada
Whitby-Cheshirer/Yorkshire
Lockett-Cheshire
Hulse-Cheshire
Rogers-Cheshire
Manning-Cheshire
Newport-Cheshire
Weaver-Cheshire
Worrall-Cheshir
Joynson-Cheshire
Knott-Cheshire
Robinson-Cheshire
Birch-Cheshire
Blythe-Cheshire
Warburton-Cheshire
Tweedle-Cheshire
Brown-Cheshire
Dixon-Cheshire
Roylance-Cheshire
Spruce-Cheshire
Brooks-Cheshire
Dunbabin-Cheshire
Savage-Cheshire
Boyle-Cheshire
Metz-USA/Canada/Jamaica/London
Morgan-Leyton
Hind-Walthamstow

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill

Casalguidi is quite right in what she as said, and I am the guilty one,sorry if its caused you a problem.

Some of these very long threads like the Cheshire surname Reseach do get a bit leggy and somewhat disjointed, I am considering locking these and asking chatters to post on the Cheshire County Board or the census lookup board, this should avoid members and me getting "foreign" replies.

Once again apologies

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs