Author Topic: Dimelow - Dumelow - Dummelow - Dumelo  (Read 3065 times)

Offline Anne in OZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dimelow - Dumelow - Dummelow - Dumelo
« on: Tuesday 27 September 05 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, my 3x's great grandfather Richard Dimelow or Dumelow or Dummelow or Dumelo....lol, lists on his convict records his place of birth Nottinghamshire and his native place Castle Donnington depending on which record you are looking at and that he was born either 1807 or 1810.  I can not find a birth for him.  I know his mother was Syndonia Bailey and thought his father was Robert Dumelo married 2 May 1803 until I found Richard's death certificate which says his father was Emil Dummelow French Refugee.  Someone suggested to me his father may be a Huguenot (French Protestant).  Does anyone have any tips on searching for a Huguenot in Nottingham?

Thanks
Anne in OZ

SCOTLAND: Bothwell Hunter Cumming Forbes Deans McPhail Wyness Malcolm Cameron Harvey McQueenie McCall Morrison
ENGLAND: Bailey Beer Beere Mann Worker Wines Page Turner Vagg Grimwood Heaton Stanbridge Stapleton Thompson Pittard Chick Dummelow Brown Dimmitt
IRELAND:Corkery O'Connor Reid McFadzen McFadden Oates McQueenie

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dimelow - Dumelow - Dummelow - Dumelo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 17:50 BST (UK) »
The Huguenots were French Protestants who left the country to avoid religious persecution after the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685.  Richard's father was born about a century later, so he wasn't a Huguenot!

Unless Syndonia Bailey married 2 men with the same unusual surname (brothers?), I think it's likely that his father was Robert, as suggested by the IGI marriage record, and that whoever registered Richard's death got the name wrong - my g-grandmother's death certificate, for example, has the wrong name for her deceased husband.

Other possibility: his full name was Robert Emile or Emile Robert...

The IGI has a birth records for:

John Dumelow, son of Robert Dumelow and "Sindania", chr. Castle Donnington, Leics in Feb 1805 (no exact date).

Ann Dumelow, dau of Robert and "Sindena", chr Castle Donnington 22 Mar 1804

Quite a few other Dumelows (and other spellings!) at Castle Donnington, so it might be worth ordering the microfilms if you have a LDS centre not far from where you live.

Maybe the Dumelows originally came to Castle Donnington as French refugees, and family oral history "compacted" the story a bit?

Nothing very concrete here, I'm afraid, but keep digging!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anne in OZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dimelow - Dumelow - Dummelow - Dumelo
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks rambler, especially for sorting out the Huguenots for me.  No family stories about Huguenots, it was only suggested to me yesterday.  I have the births you mentioned.  I have been chasing my tail re Richard for years.
Cheers
Anne
SCOTLAND: Bothwell Hunter Cumming Forbes Deans McPhail Wyness Malcolm Cameron Harvey McQueenie McCall Morrison
ENGLAND: Bailey Beer Beere Mann Worker Wines Page Turner Vagg Grimwood Heaton Stanbridge Stapleton Thompson Pittard Chick Dummelow Brown Dimmitt
IRELAND:Corkery O'Connor Reid McFadzen McFadden Oates McQueenie