Author Topic: O'Briens from the UK to U.S.A 1885-1888  (Read 1904 times)

Offline eberg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
O'Briens from the UK to U.S.A 1885-1888
« on: Wednesday 28 September 05 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to find Peter O'Brien his wife Margaret O'Brien and their daughter Kate O'Brien.Kate O'brien born 12th july 1885 wallsend Tynemouth they left for the USA after that date their second child  Margaret O'Brien born 1889 USA and then         Mary O'Brien born 1890 USA.
unable to find them in USA.
any help would be great thankyou.
Kevin
Rush, O'Brien, Hatton, Jerram,Hodson, Eden, Woods

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: O'Briens from the UK to U.S.A 1885-1888
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 September 05 00:38 BST (UK) »
Do you have more deatils on Peter and wife.  May be able to find them in the 1900 census which has date of immigration.  DO you know what state they may have resided?
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline eberg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 September 05 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi the only things I know are that Peter Margaret O'Brien married 24th July in Tynemouth,had a child Kate born July 1885 the emigrated to America possibly Nebraska two more children in 1888/9 and 1890 and then returned to Lancashire England by 1901 which shows on the census that Margarget their second daughter and Mary their third born in the U..S.A.
any kind of help would by just great.
Kevin.

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 October 05 03:12 BST (UK) »
It will be hard to find them.  I would suggest looking for an immigration record.  The census was destroyed for 1890 due to fire so due to the dates you gave, the census is not able to help you.  I checked the 1900 census and do not seem to find any matches.

YOu could also look for birth records for the children around Nebraska. The state was very unpopulated at that time so I am not sure  how many vital records would be recorded.  YOu would need to narrow down the State to find any vitals.
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 October 05 03:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You may be in luck because for the dates you want (1885-1889) there are indexes to ships passenger lists for most ports.

You can get a list of film numbers (NARA & FHC) at http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/nara_indexbyport.shtml

Scroll down to the state you want and click on the link, then find the film # you need, then decide whether to order it in to a nearby FHC or have NARA do a lookup.

The staff of the National Archives will undertake a search of the original records for a fee.

To find your nearest FHC you can go to
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

You might also want to try naturalization records, if you need to narrow your time span for looking. There is an explanation and Resource Guide to Naturalization Records at http://naturalizationrecords.com/

There are also many links to searchable online naturalization records at
http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/

Choose your state of interest from the list at the bottom of the page then click on ONLINE records.

Someone else suggested census, and that's a great idea. The 1900, 1910 ,1920 and 1930 census identify citizenship status, with notations showing the individual was an Alien,
or had started the Naturalization process or had his final papers. They also give the year of immigration.

As well, 1920 gives the year of naturalization. I'll have a look in some of my sources, see what turns up as well.

Almost forgot, New York is the one port that isn't indexed on film for the years you want. You can search in Castle Garden lists - I'd use STeve Morse's one step search engines at http://www.stevemorse.org/ He has TWO for Castle Garden, one searches the free CastleGarden.org website, the other searches Ancestry's Castle Garden database. CG.org is not complete and it has other ports of arrival mixed in with NY (but not designated as such); Ancestry is complete and only has NY lists

Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 October 05 03:21 BST (UK) »
Darn! I just re read your note and saw that your family left USA before the 1910 etc census. So the ony one you can use is 1900.
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 14:48 BST (UK) »
Kevin,  If you have this family on the 1901 census, you have Peter's age.  What is it?  Also, since some of us are in the US, in what country is he born?  Is Tynemouth in Ireland?  Our indexes use the parameters : name, age, place of birth (our states or country name), and state of residence.  The first three are the most important for finding a person.----Genealiza

Offline eberg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 October 05 12:19 BST (UK) »
Re to question
Peter O'Brien was born in Ireland in1862 where unknown
Margaret O'Brien ( nee Bourke) born in Ireland in 1863 where unknown they married 1884 Wallsend Tynemouth Northumberland England.

Their children
Catherine (Kate) O'Brien born 12th July 1885 Wallsend Tynemouth Northumberland England

Margaret O'brien born 1889 America where unknown
Mary (molly) O'Brien born 1890 America where unknown

Elizabeth O'Brien born 1893 St Helens Lancashire England
Peter O'Brien born 1895 St Helens Lancashire England.

Family stories (unconfirmed) have it that Margaret and Mary were born in Nebraska which leaves me between 1885 to 1892/3 in America (fact)  looking for the O'Brien's .
anyone help please
Kevin.