Author Topic: Michael Downes and family Kilmihil to UK?  (Read 3343 times)

Offline mikexed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Michael Downes and family Kilmihil to UK?
« on: Wednesday 28 September 05 18:47 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to trace the current whereabouts, or any information whatsoever, on MICHAEL DOWNES and his family who I understand left Kilmihil, and indeed Ireland, sometime between the late 1950's-1960's and went to live in the UK. Michael's brother was Martin Downes, they both lived in Kilmihil and were apparently both involved in the Downes Kilmihil bakery until it burnt down. Any information offered by Rootschat members will be treated with upmost confidentiality. This is a last ditch attempt to try and trace members of my long lost family in Clare!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Downes and family Kilmihil to UK?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike,

I note you said UK rather than GB. There are 30 families in The Phone Book for Nothern Ireland. Two of these are M. Downes. One is in Belfast and the other is in Coleraine. Would you expect your relations to be in the north of Ireland or England ?

Offline mikexed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Downes and family Kilmihil to UK?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your inquiry......as far as I'm aware Michael Downes, a resident of Kilmihil Co.Clare, married at some point  after 1950 and had children. I have no idea whom he married. My information is that he and his family came to live in the UK, possibly England, sometime between 1955-1965. I can find no (Internet) records in births, marriages, deaths as I'm unable to get over to Co. Clare (I'm based in Dorset, England) to do any real indepth research so hopefully my Rootschat listing/s will throw up any additional information.

MIKE