Author Topic: Caffrey - but from where in Ireland?  (Read 872 times)

Offline possum_pie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Caffrey - but from where in Ireland?
« on: Wednesday 28 September 05 22:23 BST (UK) »
My GGG Grandfather was Luke Caffrey/Caffery from Ireland.  I believe he had a brother, Bernard, and his father was James, a farmer.... but where were they from??

Has anyone any idea where I can start on this one - or any educated guesses as to where this name came from??

He came to England prior to 1861 but I'm guessing could have been there at the time of the Griffiths valuation in 1855 but how do I search, if I don't know where to search??

Help!!
WADE, WALSHAW, CAFFREY, HALEY, HEALEY, TYAS, CROPPER, REDFORD, MCCOLL, FRASER, FRAZER

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Caffrey - but from where in Ireland?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 September 05 21:50 BST (UK) »
Possum,

If he stayed in England, and you know what county he lived in, post a census lookup on this site for 1861, 1871 and 1881.
You might get lucky - sometimes the place of birth is recorded as 'Ireland', but in some cases the town or county is shown too.  Include his wife too, as that may give a clue...

Leofric

Offline possum_pie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 September 05 20:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks, but I've got copies of all the census entries and they all just state Ireland!!

Back to the grindstone, huh?

Possum
WADE, WALSHAW, CAFFREY, HALEY, HEALEY, TYAS, CROPPER, REDFORD, MCCOLL, FRASER, FRAZER

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 October 05 22:15 BST (UK) »
Possum,

You may find this site of interest, it shows which counties have a lot of Caffreys - but it will still be a long old slog!

http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm?Surname=caffrey&fuseaction=Go.

Offline possum_pie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 October 05 20:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks!!  I shall try it.... anything is worth a shot.... been 2 years at this already!!

Possum

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 19:41 BST (UK) »
HI,

Well there is a James CAFFERY in the griffith valuation in Cloonarhan, Kilbeagh, Mayo, no Luke nor Bernard. Lots of James CAFFREYs all over the country, one Luke in Portarlington, Offaly, and a lot of Bernards. You have your work cut out.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington