Author Topic: "Parish Church" in parish of St Saviour Southwark  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Alfred Moynte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
"Parish Church" in parish of St Saviour Southwark
« on: Thursday 29 September 05 02:18 BST (UK) »
Just received a marriage certificate from 1893. "Marriage solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of St Saviour Southwark in the county of London". Residence at the time of marriage was Sumner St.  Married by George Horlock, Curate. Is there any way determine which church, from that information?

Thanks,
Alfred

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Parish Church" in parish of St Saviour Southwark
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 September 05 11:36 BST (UK) »
Just received a marriage certificate from 1893. "Marriage solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of St Saviour Southwark in the county of London". Residence at the time of marriage was Sumner St.  Married by George Horlock, Curate. Is there any way determine which church, from that information?

Thanks,
Alfred
try these links
http://www.victorianlondon.org/ql/queenslondon354.htm
http://www.hiddenlondon.com/southwark_cathedral.htm
http://www.southwark.anglican.org/cathedral/index.htm
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alfred Moynte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 02:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for those links, mc8.

Somewhere in RootsChat (I think) I read a post that said not all marriages listed under St  Saviour Southwark involved the church that is now known as Southwark Cathedral. But for the life of me I cannot find that post now.

Alfred

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 16:52 BST (UK) »
perhaps its worth contacting the Church of England Record Centre to find out which church had George Horlock in residence in that area. They are at Galleywall Road, Bermondsey-no visitors but happy to take phone enquiries
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nellie d

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 17:44 BST (UK) »
Try through this link

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/

Go to British Isles - England then London N to Z
It will give you a list of all the Southwark parishes.

Nellie

Mayhew,Birch,Coates,Norman - Suffolk
Masters - Somerset
Richardson, Masters, Langridge, Dyer, Chambers - Sussex
Dyer, Luscombe, Hurrell - Devon
Chambers - Brecon
Lambden, Hawkins - Berkshire
Biggs, Cooper, Druce, Hedges, Haywood, Francis,Ward, Skidmore, Pinfold, Dorn, Gardener, Hopgood - Oxfordshire
Francis, Clarke - Lambeth/Surrey
Rowland, Emmett, Lockhart - Southwark/Middlesex
Simpson, Exall, Mann, Frisby,  - Kent
Ward, Teasdale, Smalwood - Yorkshire
Tomkins, Bayliss - Warwickshire

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Alf

I don't know if it would help to check Crockford's to try & confirm where exactly George HORLOCK was curate ???

1835 to 1967

Lambeth Palace Library is the historic library of the archbishops of Canterbury and the principal library and record office for the history of the Church of England.  The Library focuses on ecclesiastical history, but its rich collections are important for an immense variety of topics from the history of art and architecture to colonial and Commonwealth history, and for innumerable aspects of English social, political and economic history.  It is also a significant resource for local history and genealogy.

The library can be contacted and they are happy to check their printed sequence of Crockford's Clerical Directory and other printed sources to answer specific enquiries. They will take enquiries for any period, since they do have some relevant sources (e.g. published alumni lists for universities) in addition to Crockford's Clerical Directory.

http://www.crockford.org.uk/standard.asp?id=1243&cachefixer=cf221212238354464

http://www.lambethpalacelibrary.org/

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 22:31 BST (UK) »
I don't know if it would help to check Crockford's to try & confirm where exactly George HORLOCK was curate

He was curate of St Saviour, Southwark 1893-1896, before that he was at St Olave in Mile End Old Town.

Since the certificate says : "solemnized at the Parish Church of St Saviour Southwark in the county of London", I personally would have thought it meant exactly that.  The parish church of that parish is St Saviour.  If it were one of the later ones built in the Victorian era, would it not have said e.g. St George in the parish of St Saviour Southwark" ?

Just my thoughts.  ;)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 23:36 BST (UK) »
Southwark Cathedral is the parish church of the parish of St Saviour and in the past was known as such.  Its full name today is The Church of St Saviour and St Mary Olave.

Records are held in :

The Metropolitan Archives
40 Northampton Street
London
EC1R 0HR

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 23:53 BST (UK) »
Dear Alfred - My grand-parents wedding lines show that they were married in 1909 at the Parish Church of St.Saviour with St.Thomas - Southwark - County of Surrey. I contacted my father's elderly cousins in London and they were able to ask around. The final verdict was that this indeed was Southwark Cathedral. I am attaching the e-mail sent me at the time. Hope this helps.
By the way - grandfather was an Alfred too !