Author Topic: CURRIE Family of Co Londonderry  (Read 16313 times)

Offline marimac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CURRIE Family of Co Londonderry
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I don't have Jackson & Jane's marriage cert. but info from child's birth cert. gives marriage as 1855 Castledawson which you know.  Jane was born 1831 in Ballyronan; parents were George Orr and Eliza Patterson. Unfortunately don't know anything about Jackson's past, just- born 1832 Co Derry.  Jackson & Jane migrated to Australia in 1855 on "Cambodia".  He could read & write and she could read.  They are listed as C of E but another cert.puts him as Presbyterian.  Unfortunately his death certificate says very little.  They settled in Brisbane Qld and had 8 children.  He died 1909 and she 1904.
Marimac

Offline olliy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 January 09 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marimac,
Here are the details of Jackson and Jane's marrage certificate.
Jackson Curry- full age-a servant-Ballyscullion.Father Jackson Curry a Labourer.

Jane Orr-full age-Spinster-Magherafelt.Father George Orr a Farmer.

Witnesses-William Curry and Tressa Kennan.

The marrage took place on 22 Dec 1854 at Castledawson Presbyterian church. :)
Olive

Offline olliy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 January 09 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have a Jackson Curry -Full age-Bachelor- From Ballinderry-married to Nancy Harris 19 -Spinster-From Termoneeny on  the 22 Nov 1853.
Fathers-WILLIAM Curry a farmer, and James Harris.
Witnesses-James Henderson and Alexander Hugh.
Minister Edgar Hamilton.
They were married in Kilcronaghan C.O.I.

Also,James Curry married Margaret McCombs on 22 Aug1845 in Termoneeny C.O.I.
Fathers-Jackson Curry and James McCombs.
Witnesses-Jackson Curry and William Avrill.

Mary Anne Currie married Fredrick Shales McBride in 1909.

Olive :)

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 January 09 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Olive,

Many thanks for posting the details of Jackson's marriage to Nancy - very interesting! I had believed that Jackson, spouse of Nancy Harris was the brother of Robert Curry (born abt 1831), my three times great grandfather, but it would now seem more likely that they were first cousins.  Robert married in 1853 to an Eliza Henderson, and his wedding cert states his father was called Jackson Curry, a farmer at Lemnaroy, in Termoneeny. One of the witnesses was James Curry (the other William Brown), I assume a brother to Robert. Eliza was the daughter of a Chelsea pensioner called Robert Henderson, based in Currin. The couple then raised their kids around the Maghera area, including three who were born at Bellaghy in Ballyscullion. If your Jackson's cert states his father to be William Curry, I am now wondering if Jackson Curry senior and William Curry were brothers, as opposed to Robert and Jackson junior?

Clearly my research needs a bit of sorting out, but I would be grateful if you could have a look at http://chrispatonscotland.tripod.com/id12.html . There is information there on Jackson and Nancy, including the 1901 census for them, and a newspaper article on a Jackson and John Curry of Broagh from 1888, which I believe is about Jackson and Nancy's sons - also mentioned is Robert Curry of Cabragh, who is my Robert. There is also another article from 1895 mentioning a Jackson Curry, a vestry warden at Termoneeny Parish Church.

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 January 09 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I don't have Jackson & Jane's marriage cert. but info from child's birth cert. gives marriage as 1855 Castledawson which you know.  Jane was born 1831 in Ballyronan; parents were George Orr and Eliza Patterson. Unfortunately don't know anything about Jackson's past, just- born 1832 Co Derry.  Jackson & Jane migrated to Australia in 1855 on "Cambodia".  He could read & write and she could read.  They are listed as C of E but another cert.puts him as Presbyterian.  Unfortunately his death certificate says very little.  They settled in Brisbane Qld and had 8 children.  He died 1909 and she 1904.
Marimac

Hi marimac - regarding Jackson and Jane, do you have the names of their children? The naming pattern might help matters a bit! :)

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline marimac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 January 09 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Olive for that info on Jackson and Jane's marriage.  Another piece of info.  I now know his father's name was Jackson.  I have not done much research in Ireland, may I ask where that record came from ? :)
Chris, it may be that Jackson Snr and William were brothers, but Ballyscullion and Ballinderry are a fair way apart (at least according to google maps )!! :-\
Jackson and Jane's children in Australia were -
William John, George Adam, Fanny Frances Jane, Thomas Jackson, unnamed female, Mary Ann, Edwin Blafford Stewart, Elizabeth Ann.
Marimac

Offline olliy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 January 09 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marimac,
The details of Jackson and Jane's marrage where taken from church records held at Castledawson presbyterian church.
Now, there are at least three Ballinderrys,I have just become aware of this recently myself.The townland of Ballinderry in the parish of  Kilcronaghan is about twelve miles from Ballyscullion,this is the one you want.
Olive.

Offline olliy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 January 09 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
I have been thinking the same as you,Jackson(sen) and William Curry could be brothers.
Olive.

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 05 January 09 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Olive,

I'll re-order my site to reflect this as the working theory, and will make it clear that it is such.

Here are two more records for the mix, both from 1855 in Glasgow:

CURRIE, Jackson- male-17 months old-born 110 Garngad Road, Glasgow.
Parents-John CURRIE, Chemical Labourer and Elizabeth CURRIE nee MCGRAW.  Died September 13, 1855 at Middleton Place, Garngad Road, Glasgow of Small Pox, no med attend. Buried Sighthill Cemetery, Glasgow as cert by Robert McIndoe, undertaker. Signed William CLARK, uncle.

CURRY, John-Chemical Labourer-male-39-born County Derry, Ireland-resident 6 yrs in Glasgow. Parents Jackson CURRIE, Day Labourer (dec) and mother
unknown. 1st Spouse-Margaret BURNSIDE (dec). Child-William 18.2nd
Spouse-Elizabeth MCGRAW. Children Elizabeth 4, Jackson dec at 8 months. Died October 3, 1855 at Royal Infirmary, Glasgow. Residence being 9 Middleton Place, Glasgow. Died of Typhus Fever complicated with Bronchitis-ill 24 days as cert by Robert McIndoe, undertaker. Signed William CURRY, son

How many Jackson Curries can the world take...?! lol :)

Chris