Author Topic: CURRIE Family of Co Londonderry  (Read 16316 times)

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
Re: CURRIE Family of Co Londonderry
« Reply #27 on: Monday 05 January 09 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I don't have Jackson & Jane's marriage cert. but info from child's birth cert. gives marriage as 1855 Castledawson which you know.  Jane was born 1831 in Ballyronan; parents were George Orr and Eliza Patterson. Unfortunately don't know anything about Jackson's past, just- born 1832 Co Derry.  Jackson & Jane migrated to Australia in 1855 on "Cambodia".  He could read & write and she could read.  They are listed as C of E but another cert.puts him as Presbyterian.  Unfortunately his death certificate says very little.  They settled in Brisbane Qld and had 8 children.  He died 1909 and she 1904.
Marimac

Hi Marimac,

Was your Jackson a policeman in Brisbane?

Just had a look, and there are 54 newspaper articles on a Jackson Currie in Brisbane at the National Library of Australia newspaper site from 1858 to 1878. A direct link to the Brisbane papers is at http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/title/16 - click on 'Advanced Search' in the top right and check the options for the Queensland papers.

There are actually two streets named after my family in Brisbane, Paton Street and Bell Street, as my 3xgreat grandfather's sister Helen Paton emigrated there on board the Chasely in 1848, with her husband David Bell. One of the stories on Jackson Currie concerns an assault on Stanley Street - that's where David ran the main store in Kangaroo Point! I've actually got an article on their story in next month's Your Family Tree, but this site is definitely worth playing with if you have not yet seen it. It is completely free to access, and all articles can be downloaded.

Also, Ancestry has electoral registers showing Jackson Curry as resident at Oxley in South Brisbane in 1903 and 1905. He is stated to be at Boggo Road, and a poundkeeper by trade at the Pound Yard.

Hope these might help! :)

Regards

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline marimac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Olive. :)

and Chris - the Brisbane Jackson was listed on various BDM certificates as publican and pound keeper and yes he lived in South Brisbane and also Gatton.
Yes I have seen that newspaper site.  Someone on another rootschat thread told me about it; I have found lots of interesting snippets of info.
I have looked at those Jackson Curry entries and believe most of them are about him; however with the number of Jacksons cropping up around the place - who knows? !!

Marimac  :)

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marimac,

The site is constantly being added to, and so I suppose the real break will come when the coverage for Queensland gets to the early 1900s, as you could very well get an obituary for him, so I would keep an eye on it. Worldvitalrecords.com also has many Australian databases. I was lucky to access the Police Gazette for Queensland in a free trial (most records when uploaded are free for the first few days) and I discovered from this when David Bell got a spirits license, so if Jackson was a publican you might very well find the same sort of thing from this.

I've been having a look at all of this on my site, which I am currently re-ordering, and I am also wondering now if Jackson senior and William were brother to this John Currie in Glasgow, who died in 1855. He would have been born in about 1816, making him contemporary with the other two, and on his death cert, which states he was from Co. Derry, his father is listed as Jackson Currie (as if we haven't enough of them!). It is still a rare name, and the fact there are a few of them is likely to be due to naming patterns and the tradition of carrying on the name. There are only three listed in Griffith's, and they are accounted for. I'm thinking John's father Jackson is actually father to all three, but obviously this all remains unconfirmed.

I have had a look at Emerald Ancestors and have been unable to pursue John Currie any further just yet. There are some major developments in the wings though. PRONI's catalogue eCATNI is due to go online in the next week or two (I already have screengrabs from the site for an article I am writing), to be followed by Ulster street directories in the very near future. Yesterday I also received word from the Family Search team in Utah that the Irish BMD indexes which they are digitising and indexing are slightly delayed due to additional indexing requirements being encountered, but that they should be out in the next few months on their site, and for free.

We'll get there! :)

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline olliy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The 1901 census of Ireland lists a Curry family in the parish of Kilcronaghan.
William Curry 32 farm Labourer.
Margaret Curry 31 wife.
Mary A Curry 10 daughter.
Jemima Curry 7 daughter.
John Curry 6 son.
Nancy Gregg 36 sister in law. seamstress.
All can read and write and are C.O.I.and born in Co L/Derry.
Olive.

Offline olliy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
There are 3 wreath's on the Curry burial plot at Termoneeny parish church.(you know the really old type,glass dome with metal cage.)I can just about make out who they are from.
One from his son;s Robert in Canada, and John in England, one from his son James and family,and one from his daughter Annie. Now who might the wreaths have been left for,Robert or Jackson? As you know,Robert and Eliza Curry and Jackson and Nancy Curry where buried there .  :-\
Olive.

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 24 January 09 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, things are moving slowly along!  :)

The statutory BMD indexes for Ireland have just been made available today at FamilySearch, from 1845 to 1958. I've done a search for Jackson CURRY/CURRIE and this is what has been returned.

Birth:

B - Jackson CURRY 1875 Magherafelt Vol. 1 p.782

This is most likely the son of Jackson CURRY and Nancy HARRIS noted on the IGI as born February 4th 1875 at Ballynahone More.

Marriages:

M - Jackson CURRY 1853 Magherafelt Vol. 7 p.794
This would appear to be Jackson at Ballinderry, son of William CURRY. C ofI wedding. Spouse Nancy HARRIS.

M - Jackson CURRY 1854 Magherafelt Vol.7 p.816

This would appear to be the servant at Ballyscullion, son of Jackson CURRY. Witness William CURRY. Presb wedding. Spouse - Jane ORR.

M - Jackson CURREY 1855 Antrim Vol. 1 p.122 - unconnected?

Deaths:

D - Jackson CURRIE 1921 2nd quarter Magherafelt Vol. 1 p.496 age 70

This appears to be my Jackson, buried in 1921 on a date 28th of a month not legible from the headstone in Termoneeny. However, the age I have been provided from the grave inscription is 89, not 70.

D - Jackson CURRY 1867 Magherafelt Vol. 16 p.482 age 91

This is the interesting one! Aged 91 makes this Jackson's birth circa 1776.

I'm planning to order up the latter two, as I am now becoming increasingly convinced that William and Jackson senior might have been brothers, who each had a son called Jackson, and whose own father was also called Jackson CURRY.

Can I make sure before I order these up that nobody on this thread may already have the records?! If not, I will obtain them and post the info on site once obtained. I'm beginning to feel a bit more confident that this one might actually be solvable!  :)

Might be solvable...! lol :D

Chris

Offline marimac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 26 January 09 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for posting that Chris.  I don't have anything else to add.  I looked up family search after seeing your post and notice they have my Qld Jackson as Jackson Carry !!
Marimac

Offline Sonmor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris
About Jackson Curry.  I am descended from Jackson Curry who married Jane Orr.  I have also seen your website, but am not sure how my lot relates to yours !
Marimac :)

Hi, I to am a descendant of Jackson Curry. My connection is with his daughter Fanny Frances Georgina Jane Curry born in Gatton,Queensland. She is my GG grandmother and she married George Bennett Wardle. I have recently been in contact with the historian at Boggo Rd Gaol regarding the history side of things but I would love any pictures or any info so I can continue with my journey. They too are interested in Jackson Curry photos as they are doing some kind of book on the history of the gaol.

thanks heaps
Sonya
Morley - Calverton/Nottingham,UK
Rohweder - Holstein,Germany/Esk,Queensland
Diehm - Dietenhan,Baden,Germany/Queensland,Australia
Kollner - Nicklashausen,Germany
Wardle - Deptford,Kent,Uk
Ormsby - Dublin,Ireland
Saltford - London,Uk
Curry - Queensland,Australia

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 20 September 12 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,
There are 3 wreath's on the Curry burial plot at Termoneeny parish church.(you know the really old type,glass dome with metal cage.)I can just about make out who they are from.
One from his son;s Robert in Canada, and John in England, one from his son James and family,and one from his daughter Annie. Now who might the wreaths have been left for,Robert or Jackson? As you know,Robert and Eliza Curry and Jackson and Nancy Curry where buried there .  :-\
Olive.

I think I might have this Robert Currie in Canada established. My great great grandparents Robert Currie and Eliza Henderson had a son hitherto unknown of, named - wait for it - Jackson Currie!  Here's the story:

Jackson was born in approximately 1854, and was almost certainly Robert Currie's and Eliza Henderson's first son, named after Robert's father Jackson. An exact date of birth has yet to be confirmed, but his age in December 1878 was given as 24 in his marriage record, and it is known that his parents were married in 1853.

Jackson, noted as Jackson Corry, married Eliza Jane Armstrong on December 20th 1878 at Loughgilly Church of Ireland in County Armagh, Ireland. Jackson was noted as a 24 year old millworker resident in Glasgow, with Robert Corry, labourer, as his father. Eliza was noted as a 31 year old millworker resident at Drumgane, and whose father was George Armstrong.

Jackson died after an accident on November 25th 1891 at the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, with his usual residence noted as 6 Cubie Street. He was aged 37, an engine keeper, and married to Eliza Jane Armstrong. His parents were confirmed as Robert Currie, general labourer, and Eliza Henderson. The cause of death was avulsion of right arm at shoulder and compound fracture of left scapula, as well as shock. The informant was his brother Robert Currie, my own great grandfather (NRS SP D 1891 644/3/1921). The Register of Corrected Entries adds that the death was as the result of an accident, but nothing more.

Eliza passed away on May 19th 1898 at 67 Old Dalmarnock Road, Glasgow.

The couple had three children, all of whom emigrated to Canada:

1) Mary Jane Armstrong Currie
b: 2/10/1879

Mary Jane was born at 5.30am on October 2nd 1879 in Glasgow's Parkhead district. Mary Jane was later known variously as Jane and Jeanie. In the 1901 census she is found at 35 Dunn Street, Glasgow, as a 21 year old clerkess in a linen warehouse with her 18 year old brother Robert, now a clerk.

On December 17th 1903 she married Thomas Holmes at 216 Dalmarnock Road, Glasgow, by declaration.

Twenty six year old Jeanie, and her daughters Jeanie and Alice emigrated to Canada on July 31st 1906. The ship was the Lake Erie, and it was bound for Montreal. Thomas was not on board with them (Source TNA/FindmyPast BT271499). The passenger list available for the vessel on the Library and Archives Canada website shows that they were in fact travelling out to meet Thomas, who had gone ahead. The final intended destination on the document is hard to make out, but looks like it was in Winnipeg. The family arrived in Montreal on August 11th 1906. They later settled in Norman, Ontario.

2) Robert Currie
b: 1882  d: 16/9/1918

Robert was born at 7.30am on June 8th 1882 at 15 Sydney Street in Dennistoun, Glasgow. In the 1901 census 18 year old Robert is found at 35 Dunn Street, Glasgow, as a a clerk, along with 21 year old sister Jeanie, a clerkess in a linen warehouse. Their younger brother George is absent, adding weight to the theory he may have been on board on industrial ship in the Clyde (see below).

Robert joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force in the First World War, having emigrated to Canada prior to 1916. he served with the 94th and 16th Battalions, won the Military Medal in 1918, but as a corporal was killed two months before the end of the war. I'm just back from Ottawa and have obtained his full service record from Library and Archives Canada - full details plus a photo of Robert are on my website at http://chrispatonscotland.tripod.com/id12.html

Q: Is this the Canadian Robert mentioned on the grave in Termoneeny?

3) George Armstrong Currie
b: 22/4/1888

George was born at 3am in Glasgow on April 22nd 1888, at 6 Cubie Street. At the moment it looks very much as if in 1901 census George was actually under detention on board HMS Empress, an industrial school ship on the Clyde, based in the Gareloch. This is the only George Currie so far found of the right age and born in Glasgow - and crucially, he is not present with his brother in sister whose census record has been found. More work needs to be done to stand this up though.

George was the person to whom the Commonwealth War Graves Commission notified about the burial of his brother Robert in 1919, following his death in France. George's address was noted as Norman, Ontario

Chris