Author Topic: CURRIE Family of Co Londonderry  (Read 16309 times)

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
Re: CURRIE Family of Co Londonderry
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 April 07 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi my earliest Currie ancestor was Jackson Curry, a farmer at Lemnoray in the parish of Termoneeny, Magherafelt, Co. Londonderry, born early 1800s. He had at least two sons, Robert and James Currie/Curry, with Robert marrying Eliza Henderson in Curran Presbyterian Church, Magherafelt, in January 1853. Their son Robert made his way to Scotland subsequently. If any one knows about Jackson, I'd love to hear from them; similarly I know Robert ended up somewhere in Co. Londonderry as a gamekeeper.

Regards

Chris Paton :)
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline carolc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 March 08 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, Finally getting back to the currie family was busy with another branch of the family. Looking for relatives of William and Margaret married 1889 co derry, they later moved to coleraine. Think they had a big family. Can anyone help?
crawford,king,grissam, aghadowey
currie, coleraine, londonderry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 March 08 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Can't see William Currie listed in Coleraine, Co. Londonderry but maybe you can find him somewhere else in 1910 Ulster directory:
www.libraryireland.com/UlsterDirectory1910/Contents.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 March 08 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, Finally getting back to the currie family was busy with another branch of the family. Looking for relatives of William and Margaret married 1889 co derry, they later moved to coleraine. Think they had a big family. Can anyone help?

In case you dont have these details :

10th Sept 1889  William Currie married Margaret Gregg at Kilcronaghan Church of Ireland im the Parish of Kilcronaghan Civil District Magherafelt County Londonderry

OTTO

Offline carolc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 March 08 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for getting back to me so quickly, from information that I have been given William was a blacksmith and his son also William b- 1901 was born at Pennyburn or eglington in Londonderry he later married a Sarah Rainey at Macosquin Pres church but it is still all of a muddle at the minute.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 March 08 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Carol- check Macosquin Presbyterian Church baptisms (up to c1914) and none of your Currie family are listed (thought William and Sarah might have had family baptised there).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline carolc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 March 08 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, they had three children all of whom were born in coleraine, one was my father, think they lived in killowen area but no-one seems to know where they came from all very mysterious.

Offline marimac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris
About Jackson Curry.  I am descended from Jackson Curry who married Jane Orr.  I have also seen your website, but am not sure how my lot relates to yours !
Marimac :)

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marimac,

Do you have the details from Jackson's and Jane's marriage cert? My suspicion is that it may be a second marriage to my Jackson. Unfortunately I don't know who his first marriage was to! My 3 x great gramps Jackson had sons between 1831 and 1836, and as your Jackson married in 1864 that is the basis of my hypothesis, which is as thin as it gets really!

What became of Jackson and Jane, where did they settle, and did they have many kids? I know my Jackson had a son called Jackson who married Nancy Harris in 1853. He had kids until at least 1876, which is why I don't think at present that is the same as the one who married Jane Orr. Perhaps a cousin?

When I first found my Jackson Curry, I was delighted, thinking it such an unusual name that it should be easily traceable. Unusual outside Derry just! :)

Chris

Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com