Author Topic: Hawker-negative connotations?  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hawker-negative connotations?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 October 05 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Tees

A difficult one :-\

Are you certain that the certificates which list William as a hawker relate to the same family of the William who is an ag lab in Richmond 1861 with wife Elizabeth and daughter Jane Ann?

It may be worth investigating the William THOMPSON in the workhouse 1871 if you feel that he may be yours.  Somebody of his age in the workhouse would often be due to infirmity/illness so it could be suggested that this could also be the reason for any change of occupation ie. ag lab to hawker if any illness or infirmity prevented him from working the land as he always had.  Any surviving records  (admissions/discharges/deaths) should give date and reason for admittance and date of discharge/death http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/Richmond/Richmond.shtml

Best wishes

Casalguidi

Hi Casalguidi!

Indeed, it is a difficult one!

You got a right family.  :) George Thompson left home young and he was with the family in 1851 Census.  And the address on two certificates matched the address on 1861 Census.

The bad news is that I have contacted the Records Office and they said they do not have any records on Richmond Workhouse! Nevertheless, I do appreciate the website you gave me.

That is why I am not sure if this man in the workhouse is my William Thompson. If not, why couldn't I find William Thompson in any death entry between 1865 and 1871?

That is an angle I am trying to solve.

Thank you for the website.

Regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 October 05 07:52 BST (UK) »

... it could be suggested that this could also be the reason for any change of occupation ie. ag lab to hawker if any illness or infirmity prevented him from working the land as he always had. 

Hi Casalguidi,

I do not think that was the case because William Thompson always had been a hawker: his marriage certificate, his wife's death certificate, his three children's certificates (one was verified, two actual certificates)-all showed him to be a hawker.

It is possible that he was an agricultural labourer at the certain times of the year.

That is what made this William an interesting person! And quite elusive as well!

Regards,

Tees

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 October 05 08:08 BST (UK) »
William Thompson always had been a hawker: his marriage certificate, his wife's death certificate, his three children's certificates (one was verified, two actual certificates)-all showed him to be a hawker

Hi Tees

In that case, I would suggest that the occupation on the 1861 census is probably wrong if he is listed as a "hawker" in all other records and the family didn't move about :-\

Likewise, it would perhaps throw more suspicion on the 1871 census entry for William THOMPSON farmer ???

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 October 05 09:05 BST (UK) »

In that case, I would suggest that the occupation on the 1861 census is probably wrong if he is listed as a "hawker" in all other records and the family didn't move about :-\

Likewise, it would perhaps throw more suspicion on the 1871 census entry for William THOMPSON farmer ???

Hi Casalguidi!

That was my original position on William Thompson farmer! Then it seems my friend is outvoted on the 1871 census entry.

If this were the case, any suggestion as to locating William Thompson's death entry? I have tried Richmond and few surrounding areas to no avail between 1865 and 1871.

Hopefully, someone could point me in the right direction as this is only person left on my family tree that have no death entry.

Regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 November 05 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi,

I am just letting you know that I finally found William Thompson's death entry. The death certificate arrived today.

Indeed, it was him! It showed that he was in the workhouse in Richmond, Yorkshire and his occupation was the Hawker of Richmond. That means he must be well-known in Richmond.

Guess what? It was much later on than I originally believe that William Thompson was died.  ::)

It looked like that my 1871 Census information on him was correct despite the occupation.

The bottom line is that I wanted to thank you for your efforts to help me out with this mysterious hawker.  ;D

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 November 05 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tees ....................... that's great news and shows just how useful death certificates can be at times ie. hawker and Richmond ;D

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk