Author Topic: Army records  (Read 949 times)

Offline Bumblemum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Army records
« on: Thursday 29 September 05 17:46 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to get army records without having the regiment or service no.
My father was enlisted during W.W.2 and was in the Desert Rats. I know he served in Italy but not much more than that.  He was living in Newcross,London at the time. Any help would be appreciatted

thanks
Bumblemum

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Army records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 September 05 19:33 BST (UK) »
Bumblemum

Yes I believe it is now, although you might wait some time. The Army Personnel Centre has a new computer which can search by name.

George
Researching: Gentile - Yorkshire, Shrewsbury, Oswestry Chester.  Woodworth - Handbridge Chester. Taylor - Yorkshire and Chester. Ellis - Wrexham. Wraight - Margate Kent

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 September 05 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Bumblebum

Yes, George is quite right - they are available to next of kin ie. first in line = spouse then children ..............

Officers or Soldiers whose regular or reserve service ended between 1921 and 1997

Army Personnel Centre
HQ Secretariat
Historical Disclosures
Mail Point 400
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
Glasgow
G2 8EX
Tel: 0845 600 9663, option 3

You will need to enquire and there may or may not be a charge

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 September 05 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Bumblemum

Have you got any photos of your father in uniform - that might help narrow the search while you wait for the Army Personnel Centre to find details?

My father was with the Desert Rats in North Africa and then in the long retreat from Burma before being sent to fight in Italy. 

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 September 05 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Bumblemum

The Cost is £30.00 for other than widows and serving personnel, I know as I have just sent in my application for my father after having the history traced by name.

George
Researching: Gentile - Yorkshire, Shrewsbury, Oswestry Chester.  Woodworth - Handbridge Chester. Taylor - Yorkshire and Chester. Ellis - Wrexham. Wraight - Margate Kent

Offline Bumblemum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 September 05 09:46 BST (UK) »
A big thankyou to all those who replied, i do have photos of my dad in uniform, but unfortunately the cap badge is not very clear and most of them seem to be of him in summer uniform, shorts and short sleeve shirts.
Next step is to write to the address given, really looking forward to finding out more about his time in the war.

many thanks once again
bumblemum

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 October 05 08:14 BST (UK) »
I was robbed it cost me £50 pounds three years ago
to get my dad's army records. O'h by the way you have to also send a death certificate as well

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 October 05 09:49 BST (UK) »

If you make an inquiry they will send all the details and requirements in an application pack. Its best not to send any money in the first instance. A copy of the death certificate will be necessary if applicable and a signed kinship form, but they will tell you the requirements.

George