Author Topic: Whitby-Ireland sailings  (Read 1401 times)

Offline molly78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Whitby-Ireland sailings
« on: Friday 30 September 05 09:00 BST (UK) »
Does anyone out there have an idea where someone could have sailed to in Ireland from Whitby?
I have an ancestor, Elizabeth King who was born there (the county unknown!) in 1816. Her father was Robert King who was a sailor. I'm assuming Robert was based in Whitby and his daughter just happened to have been born in Ireland. The mother's name is unknown.
The upshot is, unless I can figure out which county she was born in, I can't continue this line!

Any help much appreciated!
Pashby-Levisham
Hammond-Whitby, Yorks
Price-Ellesmere Port, Ches
Preston-Liverpool

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whitby-Ireland sailings
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 September 05 09:30 BST (UK) »
Whitby to Ireland is not a sensible route!    Much more likely to travel across country to the west coast and then cross to Ireland from one of the west coast ports. What proof do you have of the Whitby connection?   King is a very common name.
Andrea

Offline molly78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 September 05 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

I don't know for sure. Elizabeth was born in Ireland but I don't know where her father was from. This info was taken from the various census's.  She married in Whitby in 1838 and her father was a sailor.
Beyond that, I don't know any details.
I do know that a busy trade of Irish gold was regularly shipped to Bridligton so i assumed something similar happened in Whitby.

Anything you can suggest?
Pashby-Levisham
Hammond-Whitby, Yorks
Price-Ellesmere Port, Ches
Preston-Liverpool

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 September 05 18:51 BST (UK) »
If you publish details of the marriage with witnesses, occupations etc then I am sure someone with local knowledge might be able to help look for her ancestry.  We looked at map of inland waterways at that time and there were canals then.  The thought of sailing all the way round fills me with horror.  I am sure the Museum in Whitby will know though.
Andrea