Author Topic: 1871 Census Look up - Llandebie  (Read 2457 times)

Offline davidlle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1871 Census Look up - Llandebie
« on: Friday 30 September 05 21:02 BST (UK) »
In 1861 (census) there was a Llewelyn Llewelyn (26)and a Mary Llewelyn (26) living at Nantycrigle as a farmer.  ( there was also a Rees Llewelyn (65) living at a farm with the same address of 90 acres)

The look up request is to see who was living at these locations in 1871 and what happened to Llewelyn Llewelyn and family.

I know that in 1871 David Llewelyn the son, moved to live with Mary Llewelyn (56) his aunt in Llandebie.  Did his parents die?

Many thanks for any help

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census Look up - Llandebie
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 September 05 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have found them, could I make a suggestion.  Please if asking for a look up could you give full details from whatever census you have them on as I, not knowing Welsh places very well, thought Nantycrigle was a place, I have found that it appears to be the name of a farm?  Birth places as well as ages and occupation help when searching.

I'm going to start listing these one after the other since there are quite a few Llewelyn families who may be related.
Llandebie
Carden
John Llewelyn Head M 46 Farmer of 10 acres Carmarthenshire Llandebie
Alice Wife m 37 " Llandilo
Watkins Son 2 " Llandebie

Nanty Creigle
Rees Llewelyn Head M 75 Farmer " "
Elizabeth Wife M 72 " "
Mary relationship unreadable Unm 30 " "

Nanty Creigle
Llywelyn Llywelyn Head M 37 Farmer of 50 acres " "
Mary Wife M 34 " Llandilo
Hannah daur 13 Scholar " Llandebie
David Son 11 " " "
Rees " 9 " " "
Thomas " 4 " " "

Mountain
Morgan Llywelyn Head M 39 Coal Miner " "
Mary Wife M 40 " "
Thomas Son Unm 17 Coal Miner " "
William " " 15 " " " "
Rees " " 13            " "
Anne daur 11 Scholar " "
John Son 8 " " "
Elizabeth daur 6 " " "
Margaret " 3          " "
Rachel " 1      " "

RG10/5488 Llandilofawr Llandebie Folio 86 Pages 29 & 30
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline davidlle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 October 05 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help and advice but I think I now have the wrong Llewelyn family ( or several wrong Llewelyns).

This is what I received from a previous look up in January;

1871 Census, Glyntai, Llandebie, Carmarthenshire
Road/Street/House: Wernewtd(?)
Mary Llewelyn, Head, Widowed, 53, Carmarthen, Llandebie
Jane Llewelyn, Daur, Unmarried, 17, Dress Maker, Carmarthen, Llandebie
David Llywelyn, Son, Unmarried, 13, Shoe Maker, Carmarthen, Llandebie

Again, this is the only David that fits with the one found in 1891, the only one from Carmarthen, Llandebie. Unfortunately David's father had died by then, so your challenge now is to attempt to find the family in the 1861 census for Carmarthen, which I do not have access to.

I know this is the correct David ( my Great grandfather) as this is a quote from one of David's daughters 75 years later "David Jones Llewelyn went to live with Auntie Mary in Ammanford, at the farm cottage at Werneyedd Carmarthenshire, when he was only 14 years old. Auntie Mary was married to a shoemaker, who also mended shoes and sold them to miner’s families. "

So the David Llewelyn aged 11 also in 1871, you quoted was not the same one. 

The name of David's parents were William and Mary - he was a gentleman farmer.  Is there any sign of them in 1861 or before, in that area?

Any help would be appreciated.  David

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 October 05 22:20 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid the only other of near that age that I can find is Rees David Llewelyn, son of David (shoemaker) and Eliza of Llandebie.

I don't have access to any earlier censuses, sorry.
Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)