Author Topic: NORTH Marriage in Amesbury?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Karenn

• RootsChat Member
  • The NORTH Crest
    • View Profile
NORTH Marriage in Amesbury?
« on: Saturday 01 October 05 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hello List,

I wondered if some kind sole could look up a marriage for me in Amesbury?  I am looking for a marriage between Lawrence NORTH and a 'Mary'. They had 2 children, both born in Woodford, James born 15 Jul 1758 and Ann 1 Apr 1763.  I have looked (with assistance) in Woodford, Durnford, Wilsford, Stapleford and Berwick St James for this marriage (persumably between 1750 and 1760) but have had no luck.  Can any one help me look in Amesbury or surrounding parishes for his couple? I am writing a book and I have a deadline of end of November to find this couple's marriage so I can include it in the book.

Thank you for any assistance.

Cheers

Karenn
From downunder
 :D
Durnford and  Woodford in Wiltshire, Leckford, Stockbridge and Basingstoke in Hampshire. North, Waters, Davis, Alsop/Sopp, Hayter, Harris, Dear, Dyke, Stride and Wright.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NORTH Marriage in Amesbury?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 October 05 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Karenn,

I've checked BVRI2 which includes the marriage records for Amesbury, but no joy.  I widened the search area but still no joy (but remember it doesn't include everything!).  Tried the Sarum Marriage licence bonds - nothing.

But the IGI comes up with one:

Lawrence North married Mary Stride 22 Feb 1757 St Luke Old Street, Finsbury, Middlesex (extracted record).  Maybe worth investigating? ???

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karenn

• RootsChat Member
  • The NORTH Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 October 05 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell,
I ordered the Finsbury film and is said that Lawrence was from St George Hanover and Mary Stride was from Finsbury, so I don't think it's my Lawrence.

The dates work perfectly but I think it's a long way to go to have kids in Woodford. There is a Mary Stride born in Woodford and I thought that they may have just gone to Finsbury to get married but it doesn't look that way.

Thanks for looking.

Karenn :'(
Durnford and  Woodford in Wiltshire, Leckford, Stockbridge and Basingstoke in Hampshire. North, Waters, Davis, Alsop/Sopp, Hayter, Harris, Dear, Dyke, Stride and Wright.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 October 05 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Karenn

You may already have checked it, but I searched the Philimore Marriage Indexes for Wiltshire, but no joy.  Sorry  :(    Of course, like everything else, it isn't complete.

I haven't got the Philimore for Hampshire, but it might just be worth getting someone to check in case they strayed over the border - it's not that far....

Good luck  ;D

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Karenn

• RootsChat Member
  • The NORTH Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 October 05 04:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Anglea,

Nice to hear from you.

I have a copy of the Phillimore for Hampshire and there is a Lawrence North and Mary Wright married in 1727 in Winslade. They had a son named Lawrence born 1736 plus others. I think this is my Lawrence (jnr) but I can't prove it until I find the marriage to his Mary. :(

Karenn

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 October 05 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Karenn

Just wondering whether you'd been able to check any banns for Woodford as well as the marriages.  Working on the assumption that they would have married in Mary's home but settled in Lawrence's, there could, after 1754, be a hard-to-read banns line at the top of the marriage form without the rest filled in.

Did you get sight of the films yourself?

I was also thinking that Winslade is a heck of a long way from Woodford and that if the Norths really travelled those sorts of distances, your Lawrence could have married anywhere  :(

I'm planning on going to the Record Office in the near future but can't guarantee when. If it's before your deadline, I'll certainly look in Amesbury and also recheck for banns if you want.

Best wishes

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 October 05 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Karenn
I've checked Boyd's Marriage index covering Amesbury, Berwick St John,Burcombe, Codford St Peter,Durnford, Fonthill Gifford, Oaksey, Salisbury Dean and Chapter Peculiar, Stratford Tony with no luck :(

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Karenn

• RootsChat Member
  • The NORTH Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 October 05 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan and Angela,

Thank you for both trying to help me.  :D
Thanks Jan for checking a few more places for me.

Angela I did get out 2 Woodford films No 1279338 and No 1279440 and 2 Durnford films 1279337 & 1526699 but if you can check any banns records that would be a great help.  It doesn't look like they married in Amesbury as Nell has already checked there for me.  :(

Karenn  :)