Author Topic: HOWELL  (Read 948 times)

Offline beverley.susan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HOWELL
« on: Saturday 01 October 05 20:38 BST (UK) »
I t have a family member that originated from Ireland and ended up in the Worthing/Hove/Brighton area. 
James HOWELL gives his place of birth as Ireland on both the 1891 and 1901 Census. 
He was born sometime between 1841 and 1847. 
He married a Clara Jane Ward WHEELER (1856/7) sometime between 1872 and 1877. I have no idea where as I have been  unable to find their marriage 
He may have been married earlier as there is a son William born 1874/5, when Clara would have been only just 18, not impossible I know but given the differences in age (11 years) it seems quite likely.

Would love to hear from any HOWELL's that may be able to point me in the right direction, or anyone else for that matter!!!

Thanks
Bev

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: HOWELL
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Where have you looked for the marriage? Ireland? England?

You can search the marriage indexes for them. Check the reference matches for each name and that’s the right page. These are available at the Dublin GRO or on film at your local family history centre. (Church of the latter day saints)

Similarly for the first son's birth.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline beverley.susan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate
To date I have ben searching for HOWELL- WHEELER marriages.  I had a  look on FREEBMD last night to see if they had any HOWELL-BROWNETT marriages and also on 1837online, but couldn't find anything that fitted during the time period. 
I have tried what is available online for Ireland for HOWELL marriages as well as what is available for the UK as well as having obtained a number of certificates, but again not found anything that fits. My nearest LDS centre is not very near and family and work commitments prohibit a visit.  I have phoned them a few times in the past and they have  been less than helpful.

I am not sure whether the Dubline GRO works the same as ours and requires at least a date to enable them to do any searching, but I can only make random guesses as to when they married (if of course they did at all) and where.  What I need to try and do is narrow down the time scale and the area.

Much the same applies to William, I have investigated every William I can find for the area in the time frame and none of them have a James as a father.  As I suspect that James had William by a previous marriage my search is further hampered by not knowing his mother's name. 

Bev

Offline beverley.susan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate

Sorry forgot which chat I was on. I need to elaborate a bit on my earlier message to you.

I found a minute crack in my HOWELL brickwall yesterday with some help from the Sussex rootschat site.

Clara Jane Ward WHEELER- James HOWELL's wife was actually born
and christened Clara Jane Ward BROWNETT.

I took a step backwards to see if finding Clara's parents marriage would help.   One of the marriages I found had a Sarah BROWNETT married to a Richard WHEELER in June Q 1856.  I figured this would be the one because Clara and James named one of their daughters Clara Brownett HOWELL.

Another 'RootsChatter' beat me to the IGI and found a Clara Jane Ward BROWNETT christening in September 1856.  Did a search on 1837 online and found a birth for Clara in Oct Q 1855.

The above should go some way to explaining why I am now looking for a HOWELL-BROWNETT marriage.

Bev

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 19:16 BST (UK) »
HI,

There are lots of HOWELLs in the griffith Valuation all over Ireland so you can't do much until you find the marriage entry.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington