Author Topic: Duntocher families  (Read 204581 times)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
Re: Duntocher families
« Reply #36 on: Friday 26 October 07 00:07 BST (UK) »
no worries marjie!  I had 3 spare credits, and nothing to spend them on, so consider it my gift to you.  One day, you will be able to pass on the favour to another researcher.

Now head on up to scotlands people, and buy those certificates for yourself.  They will give you an absolute wealth of information that will keep you busy well into the wee hours!

Are you still living in Duntocher marjie?  or is it just your daughter that stays there now?
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Jintyjo

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 26 October 07 00:25 BST (UK) »
hi debbie...i dont live in duntocher now i live in england..it is through fate that jo lives here now as she met her husband in england and he was from old kilpatrick..and they ended up here...she actualy stays in hillend crecsent where my granny used to live..she is the only one that lives up here now and i am pleased she does as i get to come to the village often...once again thank you so much and i will keep you posted i will also be only to glad to help anyone in the future...marje

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 26 October 07 00:33 BST (UK) »
What about this one Deb?
1881 Census - Main Street, Duntocher
SMITH  Hugh, 47, born Ireland
SMITH  Elizabeth, 39, born Ireland
SMITH  Hannah, 19, born Ireland
SMITH  Mary, 16, born Duntocher
SMITH  Hugh, 15, born Duntocher
SMITH  John, 12, born Duntocher
SMITH  Elizabeth, 4, born Duntocher

Helen
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 26 October 07 00:51 BST (UK) »
and on IGI ...
Mary Smith, b. 7 Jul 1864, Old Kilpatrick.  Parents: Hugh Smith & Elizabeth Moore.
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline Jintyjo

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 26 October 07 01:25 BST (UK) »
hi helen..i am sat here intrigued at what is unfolding in front of my eyes...i have been up against a brick wall since i started ...jo amid i are so exited...thank goodness she found this site for me...these names that are coming up have been passed on through the family...partick hugh arthur elizabeth to name just a few...i will go and see my auntie betty before i go home and give her all this information...i am forever grateful...marjie

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 26 October 07 17:43 BST (UK) »
Helen's and my Uncle George (wee Geordie) Stewart lived on Hillend Crescent in the 1950's.  he was married to Greta McGrory. 

Glad that you are so thrilled with the information we have been able to dig up.  I don't see how you could have possibly been at a brick wall marje, that was real simple stuff to find.  :)

All the information is readily available at scotlandspeople, and you have the added luxury of having close proximity to the Mitchell, and the New Register House in Edinburgh.
Helen is in Australia, I am in Western Canada.

A lot of the Scottish church registers have been transcribed, and are available at www.familysearch.org on the IGI index.  Not all the registers are on there though.  Catholic registers are sadly lacking, but the years 1855 - 1875, plus the 2 census years of 1881 and 1891 are all available as those certificates were all filmed.

Wait till you start trying to find the families in Ireland.... that's the tough part!

Keep on digging - if you find any Stewarts, Coyles, Cuthbertsons, Mochans, McGranaghans in you family names, we are probably cousins.
Dig far enough in Duntocher, and we will ALL end up being related!  tee hee..   :)
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 26 October 07 22:14 BST (UK) »
I don't see how you could have possibly been at a brick wall marje, that was real simple stuff to find.  :)
Deb, you're forgetting how you must have wanted to hit my  head against 'the brick wall' when I started!   ;) :-* ;D

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 26 October 07 22:26 BST (UK) »
Marjie,
If the 1881 Census is your family - Hugh was born 4th Jan 1867, and John was born 19th June 1869.

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 26 October 07 22:45 BST (UK) »
From the 1891 Census:
Dwelling: 4 McLeods Land, Old Kilpatrick
MORGAN Arthur, 28, born Ireland.  Occ:  Hammerman
MORGAN  Mary,  26, born Duntocher