Author Topic: Duntocher families  (Read 204760 times)

Offline WC Crow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duntocher families
« Reply #441 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 00:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks myryan! I am going to go to those and look around. I am looking for William Sweeny, Fireman... died in 1901 at New St. (my 2nd Great Grandfather).

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi WC Crow, forgot to mention another website you can ask for help is...  Scottish Genealogy.. good luck.
Stevenson,Wright,  Antrim, Armagh.
McGowan,McGregor, Wright, Alexandria.   Grattan, McCauley. Ireland

Offline Jackie Moore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: Saturday 26 October 19 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hello my name is Jackie. My grandfather is Thomas Stewart who was married to Mary Sweeny. Their son Hugh is my father. I was so pleased to see the posts looking for Stewart's of Duntocher. I don't know much about my Scottish family but was delighted to see photos of my grandfather Thomas. Any relatives I have in Scotland I would love to hear from.

Offline Jackie Moore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: Saturday 26 October 19 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,  is you granmother; "Maggie Stewart" also Known as Gretta Coyle? and is Gretta (number vii child of Flora and William Stewart) the Brother of Thomas Stewart? I've managed to contact my Cousin Jim, Jim is the son of Aunt Cissie (1st daughter of Thomas Stewart) Cissie is on the left while Sadie 2nd Daughter is on the right).  Both now deceased.  He said it was OK to post this photo on the sight; hopefully there are cousins out there somewhere. (Children of Thomas Stewart & Cissie Sweeney) Any news about the Stewarts will be very welcome. 

Margaret Sarah xx
[/quote Thomas Stewart and Mary Sweeny are my grand parents.]

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: Saturday 26 October 19 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie, Thomas Stewart was my uncle.  My mother was his younger sister Chrissie.  Some of Deb's details in that quote is correct, but not all - Maggie Stewart was Deb's granny, and Gretta Coyle was Maggies daughter.   
Helen x
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: Sunday 27 October 19 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Jackie, is there any chance you could share some info about my cousin Hugh?  Who he married, family, etc?  Does he live in Scotland?  I don't, btw, I'm in Australia.
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline Jackie Moore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: Sunday 27 October 19 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen. I have Thomas Stewart's death certificate. Thomas was married twice. Mary Sweeny my father's mother and Mary Meechan. My dad came to live in England as a young man. He had brothers I know of Barney John James Wally and I believe maybe Arthur. I also think he had two sisters. Sadly my dad died in 2007. My dad was a very kind man and had a passion for Animals which he must of inherited from his father then passed down the legacy to us his children. I know my dad went home to Duntocher a few times when we were younger and took us with him once. I have always wanted to know my Scottish roots and am pleased to have found this site. X

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: Sunday 27 October 19 20:52 GMT (UK) »
It's a wonderful site isn't it?  When I was reading your message I had flashbacks of when my Mam used to talk about Tommy and how great he was with animals - there wasn't a dog that didn't love Tommy!  When my Mam went back to Scotland in the 80's she took a studio portrait of Tommy & one of his greyhounds, and gave it to one of Tommy's sons - which one I don't know.  I always loved that photo but unfortunately my mother never thought to get a copy made, just handed over the original!!  That was my Mam  :)  I knew about Tommy's 1st marriage, and the 3 resulting children, but according to their marriage certificate her name was Sarah Meechan.  Where in England did Hugh move to?  We lived in Lancashire before coming to Australia. x

Offline Jackie Moore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: Sunday 27 October 19 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen. My dad lived in London where he met my mum Moira got married in the late 50's and had me a few years later. He then moved to Hertfordshire where he stayed until he died. I'm not sure if my dad was one of the eldest or youngest of the brothers maybe in between. Although my dad's name was Hugh he was always known as Tom for as long as I can remember. My dad had three girls. I do remember writing to one of my cousin's in dontocher I think her name was Caroline or Carolyn Stewart. That's strange the death certificate states Mary Meecan as wife number two. When dad died we tried to notify his family mainly John but failed. I'm sure dad said his nephew Thomas Stewart was a priest we tried through the priesthood to notify his family that also failed. I have always wanted to be in touch with my Scottish family so are we second cousin's? X