Author Topic: Duntocher families  (Read 204801 times)

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Duntocher families
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 27 October 07 21:31 BST (UK) »
I've got them in the 1901 Census, although the ages are completely screwed up, you'd have to view the original on Scotlandspeople to make sense of what the transcriber has done.  And they are living in 41 New Street, Duntocher.  In the 1881 Census my g.grandparents lived at 41 New Street, First Stair.  And my Dad was born in 42 New St., !!

MORGAN Arthur,  35,  born Ireland.  Occ:  Labourer
MORGAN  Mary,  50 (??), born Duntocher
MORGAN  Arthur,  4,  born Duntocher
MORGAN  Patrick,  1,  born Duntocher
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline marjie47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 28 October 07 21:49 GMT (UK) »
hi debbie helen and all...thats me back home in england...so sorry i did not get back to you last night ..jo had a halloween party while we watched most haunted on tv...it has took me a while to find this site and register but i was determind to get back to you...it seems that mary was a lot older than arthur but she is on his marriage certificate as is his father patrick who was deceased..and yes my granny is down as mcarthur...she had two sets of parents on hers which may have been her grandparents and her parents...i am going to try and get my grandads death certificate as jo is going back to the mitchel on thurs to see if she can find the story of his murder...then i an going to try and find more about marys parents...i hope you are all well...marjie

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 28 October 07 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant marjie!  make sure you let us know all the details when Jo finds the story at the Mitchell.
And, keep us posted on all the different names you come across the the certificates.  you never know what others on the forum here might be able to add for you.

marjie - have a look at this site as well - http://www.sctbdm.com/

it is the Births Deaths and Marriages Exchange for Scotland, a lot of researchers, myself included make sure that they add the details of their certificates to this site.  the aim of the Exchange is to provide a free resource for sharing information about ancestors found in Scotland.

It is a very valuable resource.
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline marjie47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 28 October 07 22:08 GMT (UK) »
thank debbie yes i will let you know how jo gets on at the mitchels...and i will go on that site now..bare with me as i am still new to this but i find it all so exiting..by the way my great grandfather was a blacksmith and and my grandfather was a hammerman it was on the marriage cert just as you brought up for me...i wonder why my dad did not follow them as he was a welder...catch you in a bit...marjie ;)

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 28 October 07 22:49 GMT (UK) »
...it seems that mary was a lot older than arthur

But not that much!  By my calculations she SHOULD be abt. 37 in 1901.  You'll have to look at the original census image.
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline marjie47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 19:20 GMT (UK) »
hi debbie...i cant seem to get my grandads death  to come up even though i more or less know the date...i have been trying since monday and have had no luck...i must be doing something wrong ::)i knew when i left jos it would be hard for me..could it be to early for the census as i think it was 1942 and i keep putting that on but they say no all the time...if you could just tell me what i am doing wrong i will have another go...jo would like it for when she goes to the mitchel library to find that sorry about his murder...sorry to bother you...marjie

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 19:46 GMT (UK) »
1944   MORGAN PATRICK    M 44 OLD OR WEST KILPATRICK /DUNBARTON 501/00 0197

Hi marjie,

could it be to early for the census as i think it was 1942

Don't search the census -  you need to search the death registers .  the census' are every 10 years from 1841 to 1901. They show who was living in the households as enumerated by the census takers.
The death registers are the certificates that are issued when a person dies.  Two entirely different sets of records.

Search in the death registers, using the parameters of the 1944 entry quoted above.  That is your Patrick.... yes? 
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline marjie47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 21:36 GMT (UK) »
hi debbie..you are right of course...jo came on took my password and she got his death and birth certificate..he was born in chapel street just over where jo is living now on 13 oct 1899 he died on sept 9 1944 it says by violence and gunshot wounds in dalmuir..jo can now go to the mitchel with the date and look it up in the papers to see who shot him...my poor father had to go and identify him which he never spoke about...once we get this over we will start on the rest of the family and then we may find some happy news about them :)who know...thank you for your valued advise...marjie ;)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 22:12 GMT (UK) »
chapel street just over where jo is living now on 13 oct 1899

That's where my Grandmother was born in January 1900 - 1 Chapel Rd.
Our families were neighbours.  :)