Author Topic: McLure - Sleat, Skye  (Read 74985 times)

Offline colkitto

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McLure - Sleat, Skye
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

my 4x G Grandfather was a Neil Nicolson married to Mary McClure probably from Sleat or maybe Strath. I'm descended from their son Alexander b.c. 1786 who was in living in Waterloo in 1841. He was married married to Janet McKinnon and they had 10 or 11 kids. I think the earlier kids were born in Sleat and the later ones in Strath.

Do you think this could be the same Neil you are talking about? I hope so as I know virtually nothing about him. Any information would be great.

Cheers

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi colkitto,

I checked through my files, and I'm sorry to say I have nothing on your Mary McLure and Neil Nicolson.  :(

I guess your Mary died before the onset of civil registration in 1855?  So you probably don't have her parents names?
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline colkitto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

thats a pity, Mary is my only McClure out of what must be in the hundreds of relatives in Sleat. You must be a bit of a rare breed. I do know a few present day McClures in Sleat, so back to the drawing board.

Many thanks for looking for Mary.

Regards Andrew

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew,
The Sleat families all seem to be connected in one way or another, I am willing to bet there is a connection between our families somewhere along the line!
The only present day McClure I know in Sleat is David - but now I think he has moved to the mainland as well?  He was in University the last time we met. That was 5 or 6 years ago.

There is a possibility that your Mary was a sister to my Malcolm McLure born about 1780.  I was lucky that he died after 1855, and was able to get his parents names from the death cert.

Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline colkitto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 22 May 08 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,
Im sure we must be related somewhere! My family have lived in Sleat for as long as records exist! I think David works for Cal Mac ferries now. His father and mother know my parents well. David and his brothers were toddlers when I was still on Skye. ( I'm 39 ) I would love to find a link with the McClures. I find this whole link fascinating.

My name is Andrew Macdonald and my family still live in Kilmore. Mcvitie on this link is a Kennedy and my cousin Angus Macdonald is married to Ishabel Kennedy and they live in Dunpark in Ferrindonald in Sleat.

I noticed in the thread there is reference to MacInnes as well. I  went to Primary school with the Hannah children who are the kids of Marion MacInnes from Drumfearm and Norman Hannah.

best regards
keep in touch
Andrew

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 22 May 08 19:33 BST (UK) »
hi Andrew,

Yes, David was working on the ferry when we were last over there.  :)

His email addy is bouncing now though, that's what made me think he possibly has moved.

I did a little booklet for the Clan Donald library, a History of the McLure families of Sleat.  I gathered as much info as I could find from all the census, parish registers, and other researchers, and put it all together in one little booklet.
So I have tons of info on my computer including all the collateral families.
Lots of MacInnes, MacDonald, MacPherson, Nicolson, MacLean, Kelly, MacKinnon etc.

I keep everything I find on the Sleat families, you never know when it might come in useful!

Offline colkitto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 22 May 08 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

I'd love to see your booklet. Margaret Mcdonald the archivist at the Clan Donald Centre lives in the coft behind my parents in Kilmore. When I go home again in August I will be sure to look it up. I have lots of Macdonalds, MacPhersons and Nicolsons in my family tree. And the odd Mackinnon and Mclean

I went to Ferrindonad Primary School in Sleat from 1975 to 1980 and then Portree High school thereafter. I live in Lincolnshire now with my wife and two kids.

Does B.C. stand for British Colombia? My e-mail address is * I would be happy to send you my family tree. I am happy to share all my info but I suspect you have a lot more!

best wishes

Andrew

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 22 May 08 20:47 BST (UK) »
Margaret McDonald at the library is a really nice lady - so helpful, and knowledgeable about the area families!

I sent you a PM with my email addy.

Deb   ;)

Offline wild_thistle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 24 May 08 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie and Andrew
I am hoping too that there is a connection. I have Mackinnons from Sleat. John Mackinnon born around early 1800's to John and and Anne (Macdonald). He married Catherine who was also a Mackinnon. Her parents were John and Mary (Macdonald)
John and Catherine were married in Sleat.
Anything on any of them. here's hoping
Cheers
maclennan harris/ross & cromarty
morrison, macdonald,mackinnon in harris
kane in longford,ireland
murphy