Author Topic: McLure - Sleat, Skye  (Read 74969 times)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
Re: McLure - Sleat, Skye
« Reply #99 on: Sunday 08 May 11 03:22 BST (UK) »
I have a Mary MacLure married Niel Nicolson, died 1858.

She had 5 children;

Alexander, b.1786
John, b. 1786
Malcolm, b. 1788
Angus, b. 1790
Margaret, b 1792

Does anyone have any further information about her?

Hi Roy, did any of the Nicolson contacts pan out?  I would love to know who your Mary McLure's parents were.  I have not come across her before.  Was it Mary that died in 1858?  Or her husband Niel Nicolson?
Do you have the death cert?

I have an Alexander Nicolson that married mary beaton abt 1807.  They had at least one son Lachlan Nicolson, born 1807 Sleat, he died  April 1885 Teangue.
Does this little family match with your Alexander born 1786?

Debbie
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline colkitto

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Sunday 08 May 11 07:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie in BC and Roy,

I am decended from Neil Nicolson and Mary McLure. I have done a tree of the decendents of thier sons Alexander and John. I am decended from Alexander Nicolson. Happy to share my info. 

I would be grateful also for any more info on Neil and Mary.

regards

Andrew

Offline Roy_Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Sunday 08 May 11 11:04 BST (UK) »
I have a Mary MacLure married Niel Nicolson, died 1858.

She had 5 children;

Alexander, b.1786
John, b. 1786
Malcolm, b. 1788
Angus, b. 1790
Margaret, b 1792

Does anyone have any further information about her?

Hi Roy, did any of the Nicolson contacts pan out?  I would love to know who your Mary McLure's parents were.  I have not come across her before.  Was it Mary that died in 1858?  Or her husband Niel Nicolson?
Do you have the death cert?

I have an Alexander Nicolson that married mary beaton abt 1807.  They had at least one son Lachlan Nicolson, born 1807 Sleat, he died  April 1885 Teangue.
Does this little family match with your Alexander born 1786?

Debbie

Hi Debbie

Thanks for the Nicolson contacts, I haven't had time to follow them up yet, but I will.

I did my research on the Drumfern Nicolsons during a visit to Edinburgh around 1981, I was trying to get through as much as I could, and my notes are a bit sketchy. I can't find any reference to the 1858 death of Mary in my notes from that time, so I must have added it later, but I can't recall the source. It was definitely Mary, though, and not John. I seem to recall the parish records for Sleat do not start until 1813, and do not include deaths. The marriage of John Nicolson and Mary MacLure is from a script in the family Bible of their grandson Angus Nicolson, who emigrated to Australia via New Zealand about 1840.

There is a John Nicolson (84) and wife Mary (70) &  in Drumfern, Sleat in the 1841 Census.

I have no notes on Alexander other than his birth (about 1786) and I can no longer see where I got that from, I'm sorry.

Roy

Offline Roy_Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Sunday 08 May 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
I am decended from Neil Nicolson and Mary McLure. I have done a tree of the decendents of thier sons Alexander and John. I am decended from Alexander Nicolson. Happy to share my info. 
regards
Andrew

Hi Andrew, I'm descended from John Nicolson, son of Neil Nicolson and Mary MacLure from Drumfern. According to my family records John married Meron Macinnes and had 9 children, Niel, Donald, Angus, Duncan, Malcolm, John, Alex, Peter, and Mary.

Does that match with you records?

Roy Nicolson

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Sunday 08 May 11 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy & Andrew,
isn't it lovely how a note on here brings family members together.  :)

Andrew - I would love some extra info on Neil & Mary's family to add to my McLure database.  I have scoured the death certs at Scotlands People, and bought nearly all of the early McLures, I have not got Mary's though, not all of search lists on SP have the maiden surname transcribed unfortunately 
You are correct Roy, the Sleat records start in 1813.  No deaths.
If Mary died in 1858, there must be a DC for her under the Nicolson name.  That would give her parents. 

Andrew, I will pm you my main email address.  Unless you want to expand on the little Nicolson family here?  I don't need a ton of info - just enought to give the family some substance, and thank you BOTH for the link to another McLure that may well be related to my lot.
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Roy_Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Monday 09 May 11 10:58 BST (UK) »

If Mary died in 1858, there must be a DC for her under the Nicolson name.  That would give her parents. 
...  and thank you BOTH for the link to another McLure that may well be related to my lot.

OK, I think I've made a mistake here, probably when I was transcribing my manual tree into the new software. In error, I copied Mary MacLure's death date as that of her daughter-in-law Marion MacInnes (they are next to each other on my old manual tree). So I don't have a death date for Mary, but she is a generation older than I led you to believe. Do you have any Mary MacLures of that vintage (first child 1897)?

Apologies,

Roy

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Monday 09 May 11 17:20 BST (UK) »
OK, I think I've made a mistake here, probably when I was transcribing my manual tree into the new software. In error, I copied Mary MacLure's death date as that of her daughter-in-law Marion MacInnes (they are next to each other on my old manual tree). So I don't have a death date for Mary, but she is a generation older than I led you to believe. Do you have any Mary MacLures of that vintage (first child 1897)?

Apologies,

Roy

No worries Roy!  I know how easy it is to do that!
I still don't have anything on Mary, but I do suspect that she may have been a sister to my Malcolm McLure born 1780.  If not a sister, then a cousin for sure.  It is tough to get anything concrete when there are no parish records to check.
Debbie   :)

Offline Lady Arcadia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie,
Was looking through the site and was wondering if you can help me.
My family was from Sleat, and have been able to go back to Neil Buchanan and Janet Maclure.  They had a daughter Margaret (born around 1757), who married an Angus Macpherson. My great, great, great grandfather was one of their sons, Norman MacPherson (born about 1796).
I was wondering if you have any information about them in your collection, and also if you had any information about a Donald Robertson (died 1866) and Marion McGillivray and in particular their daughter Janet (born about 1845). Janet in particular, she is my GG Grandmother who married a Norman MacPherson 24th December 1867 (btw one of the sons of the Norman Macpherson I mentioned above.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Eilidh Mac a' Phearsain

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Eilidh,
your MacPhersons are probably related to my lot.  It's just a shame that there are no records from the mid/late 1700's to positively identify these Sleat family relationships. 
My Christina MacPherson born abt. 1747 could have been a cousin or sister to your Angus.  :)

Other early MacPherson families that may tie in somehow -
Angus MacPherson married abt. 1815 to Mary Nicolson, daughter Marion born 1815 at Stonefield.

Miles MacPherson who married Marion McLure in 1799, at Camuscross

Catherine MacPherson (daughter of Peter MacPherson) who married William McLure abt. 1816.  This family lived in Stonefield and had Una, Farquhar, Ewen, William and Donald. 

Donald Robertson and Marion McGillivray - I have details of the death certificate of Catherine Robertson who was born abt. 1831.  She married Ranald Robertson in abt. 1862, children - John, Samuel, Mary, Marion and Donald. She died November 8, 1873 at Aird.  her parents names - Donald Robertson and Marion McGillivray.  Is this your family?  I'm sorry that is is the only info I have on them, but I hope it is usefull.  :)