Author Topic: Church records, Windsor. BRINDLEY  (Read 6770 times)

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Church records, Windsor. BRINDLEY
« on: Sunday 02 October 05 05:37 BST (UK) »
I am hoping to find the 1st marriage of John Brindley . He joined the 2nd regiment Life Guards in 1815 (he was born about 1792 in Audley Staffs) .

He had a son, also John, b about 1822 and a son William b about 1828-29. Likely he married 1815 - 18 22. Would also like to find Baptisms births etc of the two sons.

His wife( I would like to know her name) died before 1839 and probably buried in Windsor. 
When John remarried in 1839 he was living in Spital New Windsor. Both sons give their birthplace as Windsor on other documents.

I read online that the Archdeaconry of Berkshire was part of the diocese of Salisbury before 1836 and bishops transcripts and some other documents are under the direction of the diocesan courts at Wiltshire record office at Trowbridge( all very confusing)  I am hoping someone out there has access to these records and will take a look for me.  or advise me.  I don't know which church they would have attended but I think they were Anglican.   
 Thanks
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Church records, Windsor. BRINDLEY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 October 05 15:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for sending me the personal message/request,
at present I am unable to go to the the Berkshire Record Office as I have just been in hospital, I am hoping to go shortly, but as you can imagine, I already have a list of requests waiting to be completed.
I live about 40minutes drive away from the R.O. so have to plan a journey for when I also want to do some of my own research.
You are correct, many towns and parishes have crossed the borders some on several occasions, into either Wiltshire or Oxfordshire. In many instances though Berkshire Record Office will hold copies of those records.
I'm not sure and some one else else will probably be able to enlighten us more, but although the town and Bishops Transcripts may have come under the Salisbury Diocesan Courts,the parish records will still be held locally, i.e. in Berkshire, many of the Parish Records have been deposited with the Berkshire Record Office and I'm sure (I'll check in a minute) that Windsor have, because I've used them....
I think that these particularly records will be in the Record Office, recently while taking photographs for Prue M (who is in Australia) at a grave in St.Leonards cemetery Windsor, I noticed many graves/memorials for Life Guards, and in fact passed an  old barracks on the way there it was very close by.
From my name you can tell I'm fairly new to this, but I have used the parish records for Windsor several times and should be able to have a hunt there for you, there is also
the "Berkshire Marriage Index" compiled by ?? - name eludes me at present, which has many Berkshire marriages listed by grooms name and date, so that too may be a good place to look. Have you had a look at the Berkshire Record Office website, that too may help you,
If you don't mind waiting, then I will certainly add your request to my list, but it is a bit long, but I am going to do them in rotation, so hopefully you won't wait too long! ;D

Well sorry for the ramble, please let me know if you want me to do the look up as soon as I can,
Newbie :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 October 05 15:07 BST (UK) »
hello again,
check this link, Windsor, New St.John the Baptist, Parish records are at the BRO.
http://www.berkshirerecordoffice.org.uk/familyhistory/parish.asp?letter=w&page=3

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 October 05 15:13 BST (UK) »
The Marriage Index is the John Brooks Marriage Index.

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 October 05 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Newbie,
Thank you  very much for your reply.  I appreciate  the information you have given. I also enjoyed reading about the old barracks and the graves of some of the Life guards. Its all very fascinating. :)

Thank you for your kind offer to take a look for me for my Brindley family. Whenever you have the time, and whenever it is convenient for you and you are feeling well enough,  is certainly fine with me and will be very much appreciated.  So, yes please! Put me down on the list   ;D
 Many thanks, Griz
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 October 05 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Griz,
okay then as soon as I can I will do the look up, but when I checked the BRO site I noticed that they have closure soon, from 31st October until 11th November, so it may not be until after that...funnily enough while I was at the BRO last time, there were 2 gentlemen there who were researching the Lifeguards (or members of their family who were in the regiment) they had come to the BRO because the (Regiment?) museum was closed.. so you never know, ..

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 October 05 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Newbie, yes, you never know, we may get a lucky break. Thanks again.  Griz :)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 October 05 16:19 BST (UK) »
hello Griz,
I went today here is what I have found today.

Index to Parish Registers at BRO -  "  Spital - Registers from 1936 not deposited (no burials) for earlier dates see Clewer St.Andrew. "
so thats where I went to look.
First though I thought I would check the 1841 census transcription for Windsor (including Clewer) to see if your John Brindley and family were listed there,
There were no Brindley's in the index.

Checked Clewer Baptisms, 1813-1860 - Index.  No Brindleys listed
Checked Clewer Banns, 1754 - 1814, by Male surname - No Brindley listed
Checked Clewer Marr 1754 -1837 by Male surname - No Brindley Listed

There is also an index for female surnames.

Checked Clewer Burials, 1607-1812,  1813-1837,
Brinley Ann 6mths, 1831.

Checked Clewer Baptisms  1813 - 1835, no Brindley's listed.
There were numerous fathers occupations given as soldiers, Horse Guards, Coldstream Guards,  and some whose address was Spital, or Horse Barracks,
I found one Henry William George Kellner, whose father was musician to his Majesty... just thought it was interesting.

I haven't checked the actual fiche/film for these because none were listed in the index.
Unfortunately the Record Office will close for 2 weeks from tomorrow.
but hope this may clarify things,

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 October 05 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Newbie,
 thank you so much for looking at those records for me. It was very kind of you.  It is disappointing my Brindleys are not yet found but I will keep thinking positive.

That is indeed fascinating about the 'musician to His Majesty'. Wonderful stuff!  These are the kinds of details that add spice to the search of often dull facts and figures. I remember looking online for my 'Slack' relatives in Derbyshire and coming across a reference to a famous singer of the 18th C named Slack. I thought that was fascinating as my Slack family was  musical. I have no evidence of a connection with this Mr Slack and for the life of me  now I can't find any reference to this  man with the admired voice. :)

Thanks again for your efforts on my behalf. Griz