Author Topic: Surname LOUNDS or LOWNDS  (Read 1038 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Surname LOUNDS or LOWNDS
« on: Sunday 02 October 05 13:01 BST (UK) »
My ancjestor Mary Ann Lounds (Lownds, Lounce) was b. ca 1825 - one census says Mobberley, one says Knutsford.  I haven't found a christening record for her but through other means have established her mother was Hannah Lounds, b. between 1792 and 1804, Wales, according to the 1861 census.  The reference to Wales has me a bit puzzled as the Lounds surname occurs quite regularly around Mobberley and Knutsford.
Mary Ann was very likely illegitimate - perhaps Hannah was a widow when she had her and had been married to a Lounds (this happened to another of my ancestor's.)
Hannah married Matthew Irvin in Manchester a few years after Mary Ann was born.  The family was in Huddersfield, Yks. in 1841, Mary Ann listed as Irvin, not Lounds.
Is anyone researching this surname in Cheshire?
Diana.

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Surname LOUNDS or LOWNDS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 October 05 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi my four times greatgrandfather John Lowndes is down on the censuses as having been born in Norton, Cheshire about 1809/1810 but I don't know if this is any good to you.
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Surname LOUNDS or LOWNDS
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 October 05 19:38 BST (UK) »
I see from my road atlas that Norton is near Knutsford/Mobberley by Canadian standards, but probably not considered that close by UK standards : ) - in any case, there probably is a family connection at some point in time.
I have been trying to solve this one for years, and only recently located Hannah in Huddersfield with her husband Matthew Irvin.  I am hoping to find them on the 1851 but the Ancestry.com listing does not seem to include them.  Perhaps it has not been digitilised yet - or perhaps that section of the census was destroyed.
Diana.