Author Topic: The Shaws of Beely, Oaker and Darley Dale  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Bob Holland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Shaws of Beely, Oaker and Darley Dale
« on: Sunday 02 October 05 17:47 BST (UK) »
Please does anyone have info on the Shaw family of Oaker, Darley Dale? The family moved there around 1715 from Beely just up the road.
I have George Henry Shaw (b. 1854)(my wife's great granddad) born at Wensley to John Shaw and Mary Dakin ( daughter of Samuel Dakin and Mary of Elton).
George Henry left to go coal mining at Mickley, living on Stretton Hillside, Ainsmoor. The family moved to Handley, Clay Cross, then to Dick Lant near Ashover.
George's brother James went to Chesterfield to work as a foundry worker at Sheepbridge, Whittington.
John's father was also John who farmed at Oaker and his wife was also a Mary. He had a brother James who went to live with his son John at Bolehill, Wirksworth and were limestone merchants. They had a large family.
Further back than this and proving the links with the rest of the family is becoming a little difficult.

Bob Holland

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Shaws of Beely, Oaker and Darley Dale
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
I have some slight Shaw connection and it would be interesting to work out how the families connect.
Do you any more details? I thought that I was on the right track but then I got a bit confused >:(
The 1861 census has John Shaw born c.1821 at Wensley. Do you know when he was baptised?
Did his wife Mary re-marry to a Wright? I would be interested to know who that was if you don't mind.
Do you know which Mary John snr married?
Sorry, this is just more questions rather than answers but there were a lot of Shaws!  ;D
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KenH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

My great grandmother, Mary Jane Shaw (b 4 Mar 1860 at Oaker Side) was another child of John Shaw and Mary Dakin. I have lots of information for her branch to the present day (in fact I have just returned from France where I went to a military cemetary near Arras where one of Mary Jane's sons is buried).
Unfortunately I have nothing earlier than John Shaw / Mary Dakin.

Ken Herlingshaw

Offline G Flint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 20:52 GMT (UK) »
This Shaw family id of my kin  Jethro Shaw born at Beeley in the 1680s married Silence Godbehere widow of George Geodbehere of Cromford nee Annable .. a farmer at Oakerside near Winster he my 7XGrandfather  His son Jethro married Ruth Clarke Robinson of Wensley near Winster  Their  daughter Anne Shaw married Isaac Hoades Lead Miner of Bolehill they my 5XGrandparents   Annes brother James Shaw  married Hannah Roper daughter of John Roper of Bolehill Their son John Shaw  married Dorothy Alsop of Holloway  daughter of Dennis Alsop  Farmer  John Shaw was a Malster / Farmer / Lime Burner at Wirksworth.. His son John married Hannah Wilde John a Stonemerchant who in time had a partnership with Bowne known as Bowne & Shaw  Middle Peak Quarry presently defunct but still owned today by Tarmac who took it over some years ago..  Jethro and Ruth aforementioned had a daughter Hannah Shaw who married my 6XUncle Robert Frost  of Wirksworth Moor Lead Mining Agent   This Frost family married into Wrights of Wirksworth Moor and via my mothers Wigley  Cauldwell  Walker family and my fathers Allen  Family intermarried  The Shaws in more recent years were my kin via Cauldwells of Alderwasley..Aunt Ada Shaw lived at Oakerthorpe Road Bolehill in the 1950s then in her 80s..

I have the full Shaw history from 1689 - 1900  In the 1970s I lived near the Shaw home  Rock Villa  Cromford Road  My home backed onto Middle Peak Quarry railway line which took stone from the quarry into Wirksworth Railway Station yard ...Mrs Clifford Shaw still lived at Rock Villa when my wife and I first married in 1969..Clifford being the last Shaw director of the quarry before it was taken over

Regards  Flint

Offline KenH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Flint,

This looks really interesting. Is there anything you can send?

regards,

Ken Herlingshaw

Offline G Flint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 21:13 GMT (UK) »
The full history is so much that to send by e mail is a problem..I often send by snail mail for the want of an address..I can give a brief outline, but then not knowing exactly what you require poses the problem..

Regards  Flint

Offline KenH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I can give you my snail mail address.
As I explained in an earlier note, Mary Jane Shaw, a daughter of John Shaw and Mary Dakin, was my great grandmother (I have the birth certificate). Mary Jane was born in 1860 and lived into the 1940s and I have a photograph of her, probably when she was about 50 or 55.
My grandfather, William Shaw was an illegitimate son of hers and later on (1897) she married George Herling which prompted my grandfather to redesignate himself (probably between 1900 and 1905) as "William Herlingshaw".
Because of the difficulties in identifying one "John Shaw" from another I have nothing absolute before 1860. However, I have a lot since then (and unsubstantiated before then) and will be happy to share.

regards,

Ken Herlingshaw

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 November 05 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi :)
So from the IGI Silence was born Cromford, baptised Wirksworth 17th Sept 1680, father John Annable.
Married 1) George Godber 24th Nov 1706
Married 2) Jethro Shaw 24th July 1707 Bakewell

Ken was the first marriage at South Wingfield? I see that it is a submitted entry to IGI, have you been able to find the parish record for this?
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KenH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 November 05 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but which marriage are you referring to?

kh