Author Topic: The Shaws of Beely, Oaker and Darley Dale  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Shaws of Beely, Oaker and Darley Dale
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 November 05 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Silence  Annable married George Godber 24th Nov 1706

This one :)
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KenH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 November 05 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I think you have probably addressed this question to the wrong person.
Should it have beeen addressed to Flint?
At the moment my information only goes back to John Shaw and Mary Dakin who probably married around 1850/1855.
I am still struggling to find the exact ancestors of this particular John Shaw.

kh

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 November 05 21:37 GMT (UK) »
 :-[ :-[ :-[
It has been a hard day! Sorry. I'll just start again.......Flint, please see my query above ;)

Ken, you share gtgtgrandparents with Bob's wife do you? That is amazing. Do you know which Wright Mary Shaw nee Dakin married?
Sorry again for the confusion.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

Offline KenH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 November 05 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

It obviously has been a hard day....
In my case Mary Jane Shaw (b. 1860) was my great grandmother (rather than great, great..).
My understanding from Bob's note was that Mary Jane's brother George Henry was a great grandfather (so similar lineage) of his wife.
So I am obviously related to Bob's wife but I am not sure what the correct term is. (nth cousin?)
The Mary Dakin referred to was my gt gt grandmother but she married a John Shaw, not a Wright.
Mary Jane Shaw (Mary Dakin and John Shaw's daughter) eventually married George Herling in about 1897 which is where my surname comes from - Herlingshaw.

kh

Offline Bob Holland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 November 05 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to all of you for the information so far, it has enlightened my searches a great deal and I am so grateful.

Ken, you and my wife, Jennie (Shaw) are probably 4th. cousins and at present live only a few miles and a bit from Middlesborough - nearer than to Darley Dale. Is anyone of the family left in the North Yorkshire area?

Somewhere, and I'm still searching, I thought I found information that Mary Dakin who married John Shaw (27th. Jan 1847 in Elton Chapel, Parish of Youlgrave) re-married sometime later in the 1800's and became a Wright, but I may be mistaken.

Thanks again. Talk to you all later.

Bob

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 November 05 23:49 GMT (UK) »
If Mary Jane Shaw was your gtgrandmother and her brother George Henry Shaw was gtgrandfather to Bob's wife then you share gtgtgrandparents (John Shaw and Mary Dakin) with Bob's wife which is what I said...I think... :) Which would make you 3rd cousins.
http://www.genealogy.com/16_cousn.html

As for Mary Dakin what I have is that she married John Shaw and in 1861 they are together:

John  Shaw,head,40
Mary,wife,34
Joseph,son,11
John Saml,son,9
Elizabeth,dau,7
George Hy,son,6
James,son,3
Mary J,dau1

By the 1871 census John Shaw has died (I presume) and Mary is remarried, surname Wright.

Mary Wright,wife,m,40
James Shaw,son,14
Mary Jane Shaw,dau,11
Martha E Shaw,dau,5
William Shaw,son,3

In the 1881 census Mary Wright is said to be  a widow.
So, since you said you had information after 1860 I wondered if you knew who Mary Shaw nee Dakin married?

Have overlapped with Bob's post here ( I had to give inexpert advice to son on chemistry homework ;D ) but I'll just leave my post as it is and hit the sack :)

Just found  marriage registered at Bakewell Dec qtr 1870 Mary Shaw to John Wright. And if you think there are a lot of John Shaws then there are even more John Wrights >:( ;D

Offline KenH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 November 05 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that is very useful.
I don't know why I didn't pick that up before.

kh

Offline KenH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 November 05 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

In fact most of the Herlingshaws are still in the Middlesbrough area (The Herlingshaw Centre in South Bank is now the Middlesbrough Football Club Academy).
Since the name was only created around 1900 there are still only about a hundred of us in total.
However, my father moved to the London area after WW2 and he now lives in Ascot and I live in Windsor.
There are some references on the Nort East Communigate site:  http://www.communigate.co.uk/ne/

Offline Bob Holland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 December 05 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gardener and KenH,

I have worked out a line of succession according to alot of the information you have passed along about the Shaw family.  If you want to see it I will try to post it through your email address if you wish.

Regards,

Bob