Author Topic: Is there a census for Ballyjamesduff+1821?  (Read 6267 times)

Offline juneoates1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Is there a census for Ballyjamesduff+1821?
« on: Sunday 02 October 05 18:48 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a Philip Gibney, born Ballyjamesduff approximately 1834?  He married a Rose Writt or Wright?  I would like to see the list of families with the Gibney name in the Ballyjamesduff area.  Any information please.
COYLE, CLEARY - Tonashammer, Hilltown, County Westmeath. Ireland.
CONNELL, GIBNEY, WRIGHT - Ballyjamesduff, Dungimmon, County Caven, Ireland.
OATES, CARR - Rotherham/Swinton, Yorkshire

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a census for Ballyjamesduff+1821?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 October 05 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hello June,

Pop the name Wright into the table on this site and search Co. Cavan.
Do the same with Gibney. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php
Now with this site, Irish Ancestors Surname Search, insert the name Gibney then the next thing you are able to do is put the name Wright in the table on the right and you will see families of both names lived in the same parish at the same time (1848 - 1864) when Griffiths Valuation was being carried out in Ireland
There was a Philip Gibney living at Drumgimmin Upper in the Parish of Kilbride when the Valuation (a Census Substitute) was being carried out in Co. Cavan

June, here is a map of Co. Cavan for you

Offline juneoates1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 October 05 16:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you, the Philip Gibney is my great-grandfather living at Dungummin Upper.  I want to order the 1901 and 1911 census for Kilbride for Dungummin Upper but although I can find a film no. of 2045964 for the 1911 census, there are 3 film numbers for the 1901 census.  Is there any way of finding out which of the 3 contain Dungummin Upper?

Philip must have lived at Dungummin Upper with his wife (whom I think was Rose Wright) when the Griffiths was taken, I would have liked to have found him on some earlier records to see whether he originated from Ballyjamesduff?

I have sent for a marriage certificate, so I will probably have to wait to see what it may show!

UPDATE - I received the marriage certificate for Philip Gibney and Rose Wright, they married 8/2/1864 Munterconnaught and Philip's father is given as Terence Gibney while Rose Wright's father is James Wright (sometimes written as Uritt and Writt).

Many thanks,

COYLE, CLEARY - Tonashammer, Hilltown, County Westmeath. Ireland.
CONNELL, GIBNEY, WRIGHT - Ballyjamesduff, Dungimmon, County Caven, Ireland.
OATES, CARR - Rotherham/Swinton, Yorkshire

Offline sweet666

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi i've just been on the 1821 census for Cavan as i am very interested in Ballyjamesduff for my family history. I have come across a Phillip Gibny at the age of 16 working as a servant & labourer in the household of the Mc Envoy's, it wasn't Ballyjamesduff but Townland of Corglass,Parish of Crosserlough, Barony of Castlraham, County of Cavan. I noticed your spelling was Gibney not Gibny but as i've been told spellings are not always as you think. Hope this could be some help for you ?
Mc Cormack, Mc Cabe,
Crosserlough, Ballyjamesduff.
O'Brien, Power, Dungarvan Co. Waterford

Offline sweet666

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 22:11 BST (UK) »
Also , sorry !! there are loads of other Gibny's - www.censusfinder.com/ireland
Mc Cormack, Mc Cabe,
Crosserlough, Ballyjamesduff.
O'Brien, Power, Dungarvan Co. Waterford