Author Topic: de Halton family - connections with William the Conqueror  (Read 3768 times)

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
de Halton family - connections with William the Conqueror
« on: Monday 03 October 05 01:10 BST (UK) »
I understand that Miles de Halton was a descendant of a MILES who came over to England with William the Conqueror.  The family tree shows that Miles de Halton was himself Sheriff of Cumberland in the 14th century.  There is a gap.  Then a reference to KNOTT, and WIBERG.

Later descendants included the HALTON family members who attended Oxford University and one became Vice Chancellor.  Another was a famous astronomer/mathematician, Im[m]anuel Halton of South Wingfield Derbyshire.

I know very little of the details of most of my family tree but would be glad to hear of any suggestions or positive family tree details.

Thank you very much

Imison

Offline naylorj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: de Halton family - connections with William the Conqueror
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 October 05 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hallo again,

As you are researching Imisons and Haltons I am sure we are from the same branch somewhere.
This link will give you a LOT of information on Immanuel Halton.
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/full/seri/JBAA./0106/0000022.000.html
As īJonathanīsaid the LDS Site http://www.familysearch.org has hundreds of IGI references, but the big problem is linking them together correctly.
Try also http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/ and the (free) 1881 Census which gives families and addresses
http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/Default.aspx?htx=List&dbid=7572&ti=5538&r=5538&o_xid=14383&o_lid=14383&o_xt=14379

regards, Jon
Naylor, Carnon, Carnochan, Corke, Essenhigh, Imison, Halton, Birchwood, Shone

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 October 05 22:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Jon

Thank you - yes I am sure you are right - we are related but somewhat distantly -but nice to call you cousin even if many times removed.

best wishes

Imison

Offline naylorj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 19:34 BST (UK) »
Imison,

I have updated my tree on www.GenesReunited.co.uk with all direct Imison ancestors.
If you recognise anyone  please let me know who and where.
Maybe I can give you some not too distant relations. JoN. PS whatīs an Athens Code??
Naylor, Carnon, Carnochan, Corke, Essenhigh, Imison, Halton, Birchwood, Shone

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Jon

I haven't been able to do Genes Reunited because we don't like doing anything on computer re paying, as there are security issues potentially.

My cousin has given me a fairly detailed history of the family of the Imison clan but there are some gaps in our knowledge because several of the 'branches' are left bare!

Thus I am trying to find out as much as possible without giving my full name otherwise we fear being 'phished'.

I do hope you understand.

I hope that you have great success with all the family tree, and I will post anything I find.

I do not believe that I have anything extra.

Best wishes

Imison

Offline marine

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Looking for idea's on which way to go
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi I was looking at the information on William the Conqueror and I thought you might be able to help me
  I am back to 1786 in Ireland I have met my family--But there were three of my family in Cromwell's army in ireland after the war they were given land one of the Soldier's built a house which is still in the family today so I have a gap from 1786 to 1642 and when you ask in ireland about Cromwell nobody want to know. I can understand why.
The name comes from Lancashire and Yorkshire
                 which is Butterfield is there anywere I can turn to
       Jim         

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi I was looking at the information on William the Conqueror and I thought you might be able to help me
 I am back to 1786 in Ireland I have met my family--But there were three of my family in Cromwell's army in ireland after the war they were given land one of the Soldier's built a house which is still in the family today so I have a gap from 1786 to 1642 and when you ask in ireland about Cromwell nobody want to know. I can understand why.
The name comes from Lancashire and Yorkshire
 which is Butterfield is there anywere I can turn to
 Jim

Hello Jim

I had a quick look at Google by putting BUTTERFIELD  IRELAND CROMWELL and found that there were many different genealogical references and maybe you might try that [if you have not already done so, of course].

Failing that, have you looked at A2A ?

The BBC website has detailed history links for family researchers and maybe you might find help there too.

Another line of enquiry might be to try to find the DESCENDANTS of the person/people you know came over to Britain with William the Conqueror.

If you know their details then there may be some gentry connections or lords or even nobility and royalty that you are connected to, and there may be published genealogies that would help there.  DEBRETTS comes to mind but I believe that might be expensive.  There are many famous people with published genealogies so you might strike it lucky if you can name the ancestors you do know, on this website for example.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Best wishes

IMISON

Offline marine

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi
   Thanks for your help.I will see what I can find
                                      Once again thanks