Author Topic: Surnames interest  (Read 4496 times)

Offline RonGoose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Surnames interest
« on: Monday 03 October 05 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm interested in the following names in Norfolk:
Goose of Walsoken and Emneth.
Wittred of Clenchwarton.
Smithee of Emneth.
Osborn of Upwell.
Smith of Walsoken.
Culy of West Walton.
Thompson of Walpole St Andrew, Walsoken and Emneth.
Plowright of Kings Lynn.
Pye of Norwich.
Judd of Walpole St Peter and Outwell.
Would like to hear from you if you know of any of these.
RonG.
Canada (Toronto): Simon.
Devon: Eggbeer, Ingham.
Essex: Chickall, Ray.
France: Simon, De Dion.
Gloucester: Powell.
Herts. Engleheart.
Ireland: Hayes, Ingham, Malloy, Meldon, O'Daly.
Kent: de Zoete, Engleheart, Simon.
London: Engleheart, Ray, Simon,  De Paravicini.
Norfolk: Baxter,Culy, Goose, Judd, Osborn, Smithee, Thompson.
Shropshire: Sprott.
Suffolk: Aldous, Attlesey, Clayton, Eagle, Freuer, Lord, Ray, Westrup, Sparrow.

Offline Riley1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames interest
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 July 09 02:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have a Robert Plowright age 31 who married Emily Eilza Riley in Lincoln (Spalding) on Feb 8 1892.

Is this Robert one of your Plowright ancestors?

Regards

Mike
Riley, Mackman, Dieppe, Winterton, Plowright, Jacobs, Pope, Bowers, Cranfield, Williamson, Busby, Durant, Marshall, Spooner, Goodenough, Seekings, Short, Smith, James. Norfolk, Cambs.
Riley, Young. Vic, NSW, Australia.
Riley, O'Connell. New Zealand.

Offline RonGoose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 July 09 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike,
All I have on the Plowright family is:
Samuel Plowright born 3 September, baptised 24 September, 1827 at St. Margaret, Kings Lynn.
Son of John (a Mariner) and Elizabeth Plowright. Abode Crooked Lane, Lynn.
Married Margaret Goose September qtr 1853, Freebridge Lynn dist.
They had one daughter, Sarah Ann who married Zachariah Stacey Pye in 1876.
Samuel's baptism details are from freereg.rootsweb.com
Sorry I can't be more help but thanks for the contact.
Best wishes,
Ron.
Herts. Engleheart.

Offline MaltbyNewBrunswick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
[1] Jane Holdgate [2] Thompson [3] George Holdgate
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 12 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ron,

I have been garnering much information from your website and I want to thank you.  I have been helping a woman (who is married to a Jackson) with their Plowright ancestry.

[1] William Plowright, born abt 1745 in Gaywood, Norfolk married my ancestor, Jane Holdgate on 15 Feb 1767 at St Nicholas Chapel, King's Lynn.

Jane is the daughter of John (1709-n/a) and Ann (no surname) Holdgate.  She was born in King's Lynn and was baptized on 10 Nov 1743 at St. Nicholas Chapel, King's Lynn.  She died on 11 Sep 1787 in King's Lynn and was buried at St. Nicholas Chapel on 13 Sep 1787.

[2] As well, one of my Hubbard ancestors, Maria (or Mariah) Hubbard married John Thompson (1814-1892, Walpole St. Andrew; a labourer) within the Dec 1839 quarter, most likely, at St. Mary (the Virgin) Church in West Walton (marriage registered at Wisbech) ... St. Mary's was Maria's home parish.  John was the son of William Thompson and Lydia Savage (married: 13 Dec 1802, St Andrew's Church, Walpole St. Andrew).

Maria Hubbard, the daughter of Thomas Hubbard (b. ca 1786, West Walton; d. 1839,Walpole St Peter, Norfolk) and Mary Jewson, was born in West Walton and baptized there at St. Mary (the Virgin) Church on 1 Nov 1812; she died within the Jun 1896 quarter, most probably in Walpole St. Andrew as her death was registered in Wisbech.

Mary Jewson, I believe, was the daughter of Solomon Jewson and Ann Vinnels (sic) who married on 5 May 1793 at St Margaret's Church, King's Lynn.  I am presuming this as Mary Jewson and Thomas Hubbard married at St. Margaret's so I'm left to think she came from King's Lynn.

My Hubbard family is from the Fenlands area although mainly in Norfolk; West Walton, Emneth, Walpole St. Andrew, Walpole St. Peter (where my great-grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Hubbard, was born), etc.

[3] On the The Ball of Hastings - The Fysh Family of King's Lynn (by Donald Reid, Australia), he has a George Holdgate associated with an Unknown Smith.  I have a George Holdgate, who's parents were John Holdgate and Elizabeth Smith.  John Holdgate (abt 1851-bef 1799);he may have been lost at sea as he was also a mariner.  He married Elizabeth Smith on 30 Aug 1773 at St. Margaret's Church in King's Lynn.  I would have informed him myself but his e-mail doesn't work on the website (and nor does yours).

Elizabeth Smith, the daughter of Rev. William Smith and Abigail Brand (married 2 Feb 1736/37, St. Stephen's Church, Norwich) was born in 1749 in King's Lynn and was baptized on 27 Apr 1749 at St. Nicholas Church, King's Lynn.  She died in King's Lynn and was buried at St. Margaret's in King's Lynn on 21 Jan 1802 at 53 years old.  She had siblings but I'm not sure how many; I know 3 for sure.

I discovered, on my search for Margaret Goose, that her father, John Goose's name was also spelled 'Guse' and it was the same for his father, Leonard Goose/Guse.

If you would like further information, my e-mail address is *.  I just thought you might like some additional information for what you have on your website.

Thank you so very much for doing much of the footwork that I would have needed to do in order to trace this woman's line of Plowright's.  Your website is excellent.  Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Heather Holdgate
Whitby, Ontario Canada
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline RonGoose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,
Thanks for the info.
Am a bit pushed for the next few days but will come back to you via the personal message system later.
Cheers,
Ron.
Herts. Engleheart.

Offline RonGoose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 January 12 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,
Have found several public trees on Ancestry. co.uk and they all say that Jane Holdgate was born c1746 and that her parents were William and Mary (Helsdon or Helsden)  Holdgate. Jane's marriage and death all agree with what you say.

I have not been able to find a Baptism for Jane on any of my usual source sites.

Bit of a puzzle!

Ron.
Herts. Engleheart.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jane Holdgate
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 February 12 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ron,

Just to clear up Jane Holdgate, this is her baptism record from FreeREG:
County                   Norfolk
Place                   Kings Lynn
Church                   St Nicholas
RegisterNumber   
DateOfBirth   
BaptismDate   10 Nov 1743
Forename   Jane
Sex                   F
FatherForename   John
MotherForename   Ann
FatherSurname   HOLDGATE
MotherSurname   
Abode   
FatherOccupation   
Notes   
FileNumber   1029

Unfortunately, I haven't yet found what her mother's surname was or if she had any siblings.

Her father, John Holdgate, was the son of William Houlgate/Holgate/Howlegate [1683-1732] (his name was spelled these 3 different ways) and Elizabeth Coates - married in 1708 at St Margaret's.

Also, I can't afford to subscribe to Ancestry so I can't see these public trees you are referring to... altho' I would like to know who else has any of my Holdgates on their trees.

Take care.

Heather

Offline RonGoose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 February 12 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,
Have now spent several hours trying to fit my Samuel Plowright (1827) into yours - without success.

Also looked again at the Ancestry trees and reckon that either the Jane Holdgate on  there (c1746) with the parents William and Mary is a different Jane to yours and they have got her married to William Plowright incorrectly, or they have got her parents wrong.

I do not trust those Ancestry trees completely - I found one that had my grandfather and family completely wrong.

I could try contacting one or two of the authors through the Ancestry message system but of the dozen or so tried in the past I have had only one reply.
The problem with the system is that it relies on one noticing that a tiny message heading at the top of the page tells you that you have a message and I don't think people always notice it. Full marks to Rootschat for telling us when there is a message!

Best wishes,

Ron.
Herts. Engleheart.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jane Holdgate and George Holdgate
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 February 12 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ron,

Well I don't know what to say.  She is the only Jane Holdgate on my family tree who fits within the timeframe; I have an older Jane Holdgate but she died in 1723 in King's Lynn and the other Jane was born in 1826 in King's Lynn.  And that is not to say that there are no other Jane Holdgates but so far they are the only ones I have found.  From FreeREG, here is Jane's and William Plowrights marriage record:

County                  Norfolk
Place                  Kings Lynn
Church                  St Nicholas
RegisterNumber   
MarriageDate   15 Feb 1767
GroomForename   William
GroomSurname   PLOWRIGHT
GroomAge   
GroomParish   
GroomCondition   Single Man
GroomOccupation   
GroomAbode   
BrideForename   Jane
BrideSurname   HOLDGATE
BrideAge   
BrideParish   
BrideCondition   Single Woman
BrideOccupation   
BrideAbode   
GroomFatherForename   
GroomFatherSurname   
GroomFatherOccupation   
BrideFatherForename   
BrideFatherSurname   
BrideFatherOccupation   
WitnessOneForename   Jonathan
WitnessOneSurname                  CHAPLIN
WitnessTwoForename   John
WitnessTwoSurname                  HOLDGATE  (I'm presuming this is her father but it may be an uncle, too, as so far, Jane didn't have any siblings.)
Notes   By licence
FileNumber                  1028

Jane died in 1787 at 44 years old and produced 6 children (that I know of):
[1] Mary Plowright (1769-1839); married Samuel Kent
[2] George Plowright (abt 1772-bef 1837)
[3] Ann(e) Plowright (abt 1773-1778)
[4] James Plowright (abt 1780-1844); married Susanna Sarah Chadd
[5] John Plowright** (1786-1849); married Elizabeth Dawson
[6] William Plowright (1787-1855); married Jane Springwell Fysh (Jane was buried on 13 Sep 1787 at St Nicholas Chapel and William was born on 15 Mar 1787 ... so possibly Jane died as a result of birthing William)

I don't doubt that Jane and William had other children as there is a large gap between Ann(e) b. 1773 and James b. 1780.

William Plowright went on to marry Ann (nee ?) Hadley (a widow) on 15 Oct 1788 at St Margaret's Church, King's Lynn. 

The line I am tracing is that of John Plowright and Elizabeth Dawson and their son and last child, Samuel Plowright (1827-1913) who initially married Sarah Ann Stringer in 1849 and then Margaret Goose in 1853.

I am not the only one tracing this family and most of their information matches what I have.

Thus ends my argument for this Jane Holdgate.  I have 2 William Holdgates who married Marys; one was too young to have born Jane and the other William Holdgate who married Elizabeth "Mary" Elsden/Helsdon where a Jane Holdgate could fit in but I do not have her as a child of theirs ... but she could be.  I wonder where they found this other Jane Holdgate b. c1746.  Do you know where these other people found this information?  'Cause I would like to know.

I am experiencing computer problems (and it needs to go into the shop).  On the Fysh Family website I cannot access you or Donald Reid (Australia) by clicking on the links so would you be able to give me his e-mail address as he, too, has a Holdgate on his listing.  It is a George Holdgate who's mother was a Smith.

I have a George Holdgate born in 1773 in Lynn Margaret and his parents were John Holdgate (b. abt 1751- no death; possibly 'lost at sea' as he was a mariner) and Elizabeth Smith (1746-1802).  John is the son of William Holdgate and Elizabeth "Mary" Elsden/Helsdon (mentioned above).  It is this George Holdgate I believe Donald Reid is looking for.  George Holdgate married Jane Bolding in 1803 in King's Lynn.

That's it for me ... at the moment.

Take care.

Heather