Author Topic: Strange, but true...  (Read 11043 times)

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Strange, but true...
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 15 September 04 19:28 BST (UK) »

I had a weird occurence when my children were little.

My husband was working night shift and the two boys were asleep in their room.

I went to bed about 11.pm and was just drifting off to sleep when I felt a tug on the bed clothes.

Thinking it was one of the children I said" Go back to bed, it's still night time"

The tugging continued and as I sat up to deal with the child -  I realised that there was nobody there.

At that instant all the bed clothes were whipped off and landed on the floor at the foot of the bed.

I ran into the childrens room and found them both fast asleep.

I put all the lights in the house on and sat there terrified until morning.

I have since read that this occurence has been reported before and may have something to do with the energy generated by young children - all I know is it was scary!

Darcy

From what I have read they no longer think poltergeist activity is purely surplus energy generated by adolescents - they now think they are actually mischievous spirits.  They are obviously after attention aren't they, and either bored or very upset about something.  I saw a tv programme once about a house that was tormented by poltergeist activity - there were very young children and it seemed to direct most of its anger at anyone paying the children much attention.  They got in a medium who told them the poltergeist was the spirit of a young baby, the fruit of an illicit union between a nun and a priest - the priest had killed the baby and buried him under the floor of the house and the spirit was absolutely furious about being deprived of its life, as well as the loving nurture of its parents.  They did something or other to comfort it and helped it to move on to the next world.
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 17 September 04 13:29 BST (UK) »
Only just found this thread hence late reply to Graceland.
Definitely D & E due to an experience in Downton Castle, Downton on the Rock.
Was in a room with a dog playing trains (i was young at this point!!) when dog went mad and i could hear footsteps along the landing outside. Being young i thought it was my cousin coming back, looked out of door, noone there but still footsteps!!!
My aunt and uncle have also had experiences in the castle and the grounds around it.

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 11 February 05 11:49 GMT (UK) »
I've only just found this thread and have found it very interesting, unfortunately I've not had anything happen to me like the rest of you, but it reminded me of something.

My boyfriend had a dream about Princess Diana. He was standing on the edge of a lake and she was on a boat floating away from him waving.

When he woke up in the morning, he discovered that Princess Diana had died that night, and the strange thing is, is that she is that she was later buried in the middle of a lake!

???

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 11 February 05 12:44 GMT (UK) »
My friend's grandmother died just over two years ago.  My friend was very very close to her grandparents and was obviously upset.  A week or so after the funeral we were in a book shop talking about her grandmother and whether she'd manage a sign that she was still about as my friend is very sceptical - when a book fell off the shelf in front of us.

What's more - it was a book about unusual obituaries.......

:o

She ain't so sceptical now.

Helen
Warwickshire - ADKINS / KENNARD
Hertfordshire - BRADD / ROBLETT / THOROGOOD / WATSON
ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 07 April 05 11:49 BST (UK) »
  ??? ??? ???

I consider myself a down-to-earth no-nonsense person, but just the same, I've never been able to explain this strange experience  ...........

I've always been involved in Amateur Theatre, so when a friend at work suggested I be in their village production I went along and joined in.  As always, the cast would go for a drink after rehearsals, and sometimes I'd stay at my friend's house if I'd drank too much.  Her house was a great big Edwardian semi which she and her huband had just moved into.

Anyway, one evening, while relaxing in a hot bath there, I suddenly felt cold & shivery and I could hear a woman's voice saying  No ! No ! No !  Let me out ! Let me out ! and the voice had an Irish accent.  Inexplicably, I became very upset and was near to tears. Straight away I jumped from the bath and left the room. 

When I went downstairs later, I  told my friends of my experience but they couldn't offer an explanation, and as the night wore on I began to think I'd imagined the whole thing, so we had another glass of wine, and laughed the whole thing off.

A couple of years later my friend happened to be talking to a old local, who on learning where she lived was amazed she didn't know it's history.  Apparently, the house had been built for a local butcher & his family in the 1890's, and all went well until they employed a young domestic from Ireland. Anyway, the girl became pregnant by the butcher, and to avoid a scandal, she was murdered and buried in the garden - he and his wife had drowned her in the bath - perhaps the very one I'd sat in !

As far as I know, my friend and her husband never experienced anything ontoward after that, but some years later, he became clinically depressed and they were subsequently divorced !!

Makes you think doesn't it

??? ??? ???

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 07 April 05 15:34 BST (UK) »
 consider myself a down-to-earth no-nonsense person

Yes ok Mobo we will belive you  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 07 April 05 17:15 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D

Whoooo !!  thank you for the 60's dress Mr G. - takes me back that does - fancy a jive ??

;D ;D ;D
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline jakky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 08 April 05 11:01 BST (UK) »
In the 60s.  I moved to London from Lancashire.

On a day out to Woburn Abbey I went through the front door and felt quite ill, I kept saying to my then boyfriend 'I know this place I have been here before'

I had actually never heard of it.

Many, many years later embarking on genealogy I found my Gt Grandad and his family had lived in a village next to the house way back to the 1200s

I can only assume we carry the memory gene in us and that maybe one or more of them were servants in the house.

It was a frightening experience, Deja Vu gone mad.

Jakky

Thomas.  Wigan Bolton & Fleetwood
Wilcox. Liverpool & Fleetwood.
Lamplough. Hull.
Hallam. Wigan & Bolton
Jordan. Hackney.
Burtonwood. Wigan,Bolton
All Census Look Up Transcriptions Are Crown Copyright.