Author Topic: 1841 Census - Fort William, Kinlocharkaig  (Read 7910 times)

Offline Aurora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841 Census - Fort William, Kinlocharkaig
« on: Wednesday 05 October 05 21:23 BST (UK) »
I am geographically challanged, but I believe that both Fort William and Kinlocharkaig are in Invernesshire.
In the Fort William kirk sessions dated 13 March, 1837, Isobel Cameron, daughter of John Cameron of Kinlocharkaig was rebuked by the kirk sessions for giving birth to an illigitimate daughter (name unknown).  The father was reported to be "Duncan McIntyre, son of the Reverend Duncan McIntyre of Kilmallie".  It was stated that Duncan had "left the country".  Indeed he had, arriving in Sydney, Australia in October, 1836.  My family is descended from Duncan and his wife whom he married in Australia.

Could some kind person tell me if Isobel Cameron and her daughter are recorded in the 1841 census for the Kinlochairkaig-Fort William area.  The little girl would be aged about four.  Possibly Isobel was living with her father John?  I would dearly love to at least have Isobel's daughter's name. 
Thanking you in anticipation, regards, Aurora (Australia).

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - Fort William, Kinlocharkaig
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 October 05 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Aurora

There is an 1841 on-line census index which includes Kinlocharkaig at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~ked1/41ftwillcen2.html . There are numerous John Camerons but no Isobel and also a number of Duncan MacIntyres.  Have you got the names of John C and Duncan MacI's wives? This could help narrow your search. 

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aurora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 October 05 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica for your reply.  I will look at the website you suggested straight away.  I could imagine that there would be lots of John Camerons in Kinlocharkaig, as this area is real "Cameron Country".  I don't think Duncan McIntyre was specifically at Kinlocharkiag.  He would probably have been living at Kilmallie where his father was minister or at Kilmonovaig, where his brother was minister.  Duncan would not be in the 1841 census because he immigrated to Australia in 1836.  Thanks again for your help.
regards, Aurora.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 October 05 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Aurora

You know what it's like with genealogy puzzles - they niggle at the back of your head! Had a thought of trying different name version of Isobel and found this in the 1841 census index at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~ked1/41ftwillcen5.html :

MORV LOCHALINE 48   ISABELLA CAMERON F  35  Y
MORV LOCHALINE 48   JANET CAMERON F  5  Y

You could try searching Scotlands People website for Marriages/Deaths for a Janet Cameron to try and verify parentage.  There are not that many entries listed for Inverness-shire (if she remained there) for the relevant periods.

By the way, is this Duncan jnr's brother:

MALL CORPACH 38 DONALD MACINTYRE M  35 CLERGY Y
MALL CORPACH 38 JOHN MACINTYRE M  35 MERCHANT Y

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aurora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 20:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Monica
Thank you again for your help.  Sorry I have been slow acknowledging your last post, but I have been away for a few days.  I don't know about the Isabella Cameron aged 35 years in 1841.  My Duncan was born in 1818 and this Isabella would have been born in 1806, making her 12 years older than Duncan.  That is not to say that they had a relationship, but I thought it would be more likely that he would link up with a girl closer to his own age.  But I will keep this census entry in mind, perhaps searching for something more on Janet Cameron, aged 5 years.  What you have given me could be very helpful.

The two McIntyres at Corpach are not brothers to my Duncan.  I have the names of all Duncan's siblings. Three siblings came to Australia.  He also had three brothers who were clerygymen.  His eldest brother was Reverend John McIntyre of Kilmonovaig, Lochaber, who was minister for Kilmonovaig for over 40 years.  Reverend John was suceeded at Kilmonovaig by his son, Reverend John Walker McIntyre.  Our Duncan also had a brother, Reverend James McIntyre of Glengarray and Reverend Martin McIntyre, who died fairly young.  Our Duncan McIntyre's maternal grandfather was James McIntyre of Glenoe, Chief of the Clan.  His paternal grandfather was John McIntyre of Camusnaherie (on Loch Leven, near Ballachulish) who was a Chieftan of a cadet branch of the main Glenoe line.   I have heaps and heaps on the McIntryres.  About the only thing I don't have are details on Duncan's first love, Isabella/Isobel Cameron!  Thanks again for all your help.  I really appreciate it.   regards, Aurora.

Offline Peny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 June 09 04:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Aurora
I was interested to read your email of Oct 05 regarding the McIntyres.
I am also related to the following McIntyres, my 4 x gt grandmother was cousin to Duncan McIntyre who was minister of Kilmallie. This is a quote from your email "His eldest brother was Reverend John McIntyre of Kilmonovaig, Lochaber, who was minister for Kilmonovaig for over 40 years.  Reverend John was suceeded at Kilmonovaig by his son, Reverend John Walker McIntyre.  Our Duncan also had a brother, Reverend James McIntyre of Glengarray and Reverend Martin McIntyre, who died fairly young.  Our Duncan McIntyre's maternal grandfather was James McIntyre of Glenoe, Chief of the Clan.  His paternal grandfather was John McIntyre of Camusnaherie (on Loch Leven, near Ballachulish) who was a Chieftan of a cadet branch of the main Glenoe line."

If you are interested, please let me know
Regards
Peny