Author Topic: Somers Family St Helier 1871  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Maybee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Somers Family St Helier 1871
« on: Thursday 06 October 05 23:11 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find any information on my G grandfather Daniel Somers born 1869 St Helier the family are in the 1871 census but not in the 1881 wondering when and how he would of left to come to New Zealand and where the rest of the family went or if they stayed on Jersey. Also when did his parents Robert and Margaret leave Ireland  and where from . Any information welcomed . Thank you

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Somers Family St Helier 1871
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 October 05 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Maybee

Welcome to Rootschat!

There is only so much you can get from census records, without recourse to other records, but...

In 1871 the elder son Thomas is also born in Jersey, so the family had been there at least 4 years. 

There is no sign of them in 1861, even with variant spelling.  Neither can I find the other SOMERS family from 1871 in the earlier census (even though the 11 year old is said to have been born in St Helier!)

You could try posting on the Emigrants to NZ board.  Someone may have access to shipping records. 

In 1881 there are no SOMERS, but check for the SUMMERS spelling variant.

You probably know that Irish research is very difficult even if you know where the family came from.  Hopefully records at the NZ end could help?

Good luck!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)