Author Topic: a letter to bohermore  (Read 8257 times)

Offline cathy m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
a letter to bohermore
« on: Thursday 06 October 05 23:24 BST (UK) »
hi everyone
this is my first time on the board.i wonder if anyone can help me with this.i cannot move forward with my grandmothers side.she had a very common name;MARY MORRIS [born about 1907].family say she was born in bohermore county galway.i visited this place last year and anyone who knows will be aware that it's really only 'one long road' as the name BOHERMORE means.anyway i thought i got a bit of a lead recently when my uncle said he remembers taking my g.mother to visit her family at NO 21 BOHERMORE.i was so chuffed i decided to write a letter to the occupants in the hope that the house was still standing and was possibly still occupied by a family member.i explained my case,but was so dissapointed to receive the letter unopened and undelivered back from the irish post office saying that it was improperly adressed with not enough information.i adressed it to 21 BOHERMORE,COUNTY GALWAY,IRELAND.can anyone enlighten me on how i should maybe have adressed it.
regards catherine

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: a letter to bohermore
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 October 05 05:37 BST (UK) »
Catherine:
Perhaps they were being "picky". I think the name is Bothermore. Still, one would expect them to try to deliver.

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 October 05 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine,

Googling for Bohermore, Galway gets many hits.

The following site:
http://www.galway.net/galwayguide/service/finance/bank/po.html
says that there is a sub post office at Bohermore.

I wonder whether it would be worthwhile addressing your letter to the Postmaster/Postmistress, Post Office, Bohermore, Galway, and seeking help?

I also tried the eircom phone book at:
http://159.134.203.172/search.asp?source=Eircom
and entered a random Irish name (the one I tried was Murphy) and town of Bohermore, Co Galway - and indeed it came up with an entry which was just like the one you used i.e. a number and Bohermore, Galway!

Strange,

JAP

Offline cathy m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 October 05 16:30 BST (UK) »
thankyou both.jap, i have done as you suggested and although there are no hits for moris in bohermore,i tried morris in salt hill and got one hit.
i know the family lived in salt hill for a time so i am going to write to this person and see if they are related.also i will try your suggestion and write to the post master in bohermore
many thanks Catherine

Offline possum_pie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 October 05 20:32 BST (UK) »
Best of luck!!
WADE, WALSHAW, CAFFREY, HALEY, HEALEY, TYAS, CROPPER, REDFORD, MCCOLL, FRASER, FRAZER

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 October 05 20:50 BST (UK) »
Don't know how reliable this is but there may have been a John Tierney there in 1920.....
http://www.augustinians.ie/galway/Forthill/ttt.htm
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathy m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 October 05 21:11 BST (UK) »
hi
yes i see that.i wonder if the 21 refers to the number of the house or the age of the person.he would hardly have a brother of 21years and him being 63.what exactly is this list
regds cath

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 October 05 22:33 BST (UK) »
It seems to be the webpage of 3 Augustinian monks. If you scroll down the page and hit Home, then About us, there is more information. The records seem to be for burials and tehre are some Morris names there, don't know if they are yours, or even if your family was Catholic. The entry in question looks to be the address of the informant.
The Message board seems to be read by some locals so you could try posting there :) There might be a monk interested in local history....
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathy m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 10:31 GMT (UK) »
thankyou very much,i will folloe up your leads
Catherine