Author Topic: i cant get her birth cert  (Read 1046 times)

Offline cathy m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
i cant get her birth cert
« on: Friday 07 October 05 00:12 BST (UK) »
hi
can anyone give me any ideas on how to find a date of birth for my g.mother.i want to move on further,but i am stuck and have been for over a year.i know loads about her but without her D.O.B i can obtain her birth cert which will give me her parents names.i know her name was Mary morris[very common name] approx year of birth is 1907,but the name is to common far a guess.lore has it that she was born in galway.i know most of her siblings names and i know who she married.i have her marriage cert but it lists her as a minor[under 21] no d.o.b i have asked all the family and although most seem to think Oct 1907 is correct i have to be sure because with such a common name i could easily obtain the wrong cert,sending me down the wrong line.does anyone know of any thing that would have listed her D.O.B which i could obtain.i was wondering about her pension application would that still be available.she lived all her married life in tullamore.[she died in 1991]her siblings are alive and would apply for anything on my behalf.also i know she went America in the 1970S would she have needed a passport,if so would the Irish passport office still have any details and if so would they let the family have them?I'm going mad with this one.i know so much about her but not enough to get her birth cert
regards Catherine

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: i cant get her birth cert
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 October 05 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine,

Have you thought of trying to find your g.mother in the 1911 Irish census?  Unlike its UK equivalents, the 1911 Irish census has been released to the public and some bits have been transcribed and are available on line.  Try a Google search for "1911 Irish Census" and follow up some of the links - you might be lucky and find something on line.  If you manage to find her in the census, you should find her place of birth and names of her parents.

Regards,

Al
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dragonlore

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 October 05 00:21 BST (UK) »
Cathy,

Would her date of birth be on the death certificate perhaps? 

Dragonlore
Bucks: PARKER 
Beds/Cambs: THEOBALD, HARBIN, INGREY, HART, GIBBS
Sussex: CHERRYMAN, BACON, JONES, AVERY, STILES, STILL
Kent/London: SEYMOUR
Norfolk/Suffolk: RICHARDS
Surrey : KING, CROUCHER, MITCHELL, HAWKINS

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 October 05 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Census is not indexed so you need an approximate address. This and the 1901 are available at the National Archives in Dublin and on film at your local family history centre. (Church of the latter day saints)  The 1911 census gives age, relationship to head of household, marital status, occupation, county of birth and for wives it give no of years married, no of children born and how many children still survive.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp for your nearest.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline cathy m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 October 05 16:41 BST (UK) »
thanks for your replies.yes i think looking for her on the census is my best bet,but i can only guess her town of birth .it is said that she was born in bohermore galway.would the family history centre have the cencus for this place on film or would i have to order it in.if so can anyone help me with the film number for the 1901 and 1911 cencus for bohermore galway
regards Catherine