Author Topic: Scunthorpe Library - North Lincolnshire Research  (Read 7482 times)

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Scunthorpe Library - North Lincolnshire Research
« on: Wednesday 18 August 04 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I shall be in Scunthorpe Library at the end of August, and should have a bit of spare time to do some look-ups if anyone wants them.

Scunthorpe Library has quite a good selection of records relating to the North Lincolnshire (Glanford Brigg) area including parish registers and census returns for most towns/villages, local newspapers and trade directories.

If you want a look-up reply on this thread or send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Sasha.

Offline marine105

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Scunthorpe Library - North Lincolnshire Research
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 August 04 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Sasha,
Please can you look for 2 Deaths if you have time?

Mary WRIGHT
She lived as a Widow in West Street, Scunthorpe, and I think died about 1917/18. However, there is no matching entry in the GRO under Glanford Brigg. She was born about 1849/50 being aged 32 at the 1881 Census.

Joseph ROSE
Left his first wife in the 1920s and probably died in the 1930s. He was born 18 Jan 1874. Again, I have had no luck with the GRO to date. Also lived in West Street, and after leaving his wife we think moved to "Fenton Street".
Almost certain he was a steelworker, but don't know which works.
Cross (Lancs), Hughes (Frodsham), Price (Cumberland), Brown(Liverpool/Cumberland), McNorton/McNaughton (Liverpool), Corker (Ches.),
Saban, Rose (South Lincs),Wilson (Pontefract), Wright (North Lincs)

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 August 04 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Will check which church was local to West St and Fenton St, and if the library has the parish registers I'll check them out.

The newspaper archives are indexed so I'll check these as well for obituaries.

Will get back to you in a couple of weeks - fingers crossed I'll have some information for you.  :)

Sasha.

Offline marine105

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 August 04 08:44 BST (UK) »
OK thanks Sasha:
Just one more thing; there is a "suspicion" that Mary WRIGHT may have had mental problems and been sent to Lincoln if that was the nearest facility. Not sure how one could follow up on this if no trace of a death/burial in Scun.?
Chris  :-\
Cross (Lancs), Hughes (Frodsham), Price (Cumberland), Brown(Liverpool/Cumberland), McNorton/McNaughton (Liverpool), Corker (Ches.),

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 August 04 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

The County Asylum was St. John's Hospital in Bracebridge Heath, Lincoln, and the records are held by Lincoln Archives.

My Gt-Grandfather died there in 1917 of a degenerative illness - his burial was recorded in his home village in the Isle of Axholme but his death certificate was registered at Lincoln.  I believe that there was also a burial ground within the hospital grounds.

I was able to apply (for a small fee) to view and get copies of my Gt-Grandfathers hospital notes as I was a direct descendant (they are covered by the 100 year privacy act), and although I'm glad I did this they are the saddest thing I've uncovered in my research.

I'll see what I can find out in Scunthorpe, but it might be worth contacting the Archives in Lincoln to see if they can check the St. John's Hospital index for you for 1917/18 - http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/section.asp?catId=2053

Sasha.

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 August 04 13:38 BST (UK) »
Could you look up a Spilsby Lincolnshire marriage for me?  I am not sure if they will hold Spilsby.  I have a lot on my Nixon/Bowers clan who lived in Glanford Brigg and Broughton but cannot find much about Spilsby.

I am looking for a marriage between Thomas Hancock and Hannah Tyson.  They were married about 1831 in SPilsby.  Their first child was bapt on February 2, 1832 in Spilsby (and following children were all bapt. there and they were in the 1841 Census in Spilsby) so I am estimating a marriage in 1831.

Any help would be great. By the way, on the East Riding board , I checked for any Dolyes informtion on a Parish record CD that I own.  No names popped  up.  I thought I woul let you know. 

Thanks- Kristin ;D
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 August 04 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Kristin,

I'll certainly check for you.  It's a few years since I've been to the library in Scunthorpe - I know I used to be pleasantly surprised at the amount of information they had, but can't remember exactly what areas they have outside the Glanford Brigg area.  If they don't hold the parish registers for Spilsby they certainly have the marriage indexes for the area produced by the Lincs fhs.

Thanks for looking for my Doyles.

Sasha.  :)

Offline marine105

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 August 04 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Sasha,
Thanks for info re County Asylum. I'll get in touch and if anything useful materialises will let you know to avoid wasting your time. As I'm in North Wales, your offer is most appreciated.
Chris

Offline dmo44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 August 04 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Sasha,

If you haven't already visited the archives, could you please check the parish records for the baptism of Sarah Ward, the daughter of John and Mary Ward.

She was born in Glanford Brigg in 1858. She was probably baptized in late 1858 or the Spring of 1859.